She was most definitely in over her head.

Chapter 17 – She was definitely in over her head

The following week, Elizabeth awoke as normal. She made passionate love to her husband before reluctantly letting him go out on business. She took breakfast and hot chocolate in her room, met with the house keeper and had Mary help her with the finishing touches to Blake's surprise before making her way to the stable early afternoon, mounting Misty and riding across the land as normal. But this time. She would be sure to be back slightly earlier than normal.

Melissa watched her ride in the same direction she a;ways did and disappear out of site. She huffed to herself 'predictable'. She made her way through the gardens and using the side door at the west side of the house, she had been able to slip in undetected. She donned a simple Grey gown that allowed her to blend in with the house and its staff. This time she had no gift to leave the happy couple. She simply wanted to nose through their belongings. There had to be another way of getting to her, of unsettling their perfect life. A life that should have been hers.

She had been through the study and library several times with nothing of interest to her. She crossed the foyer and studied the family portraits that lined its walls. She could have been on these walls. She looked to the newest and more recently commissioned of portraits. A few years old at least, but the golden eyes bore into her. He was so handsome. And he didn't want her. Everybody wanted her. He had wanted her at one time. How could he not want her now?

She made her way upstairs, keeping her head low and her face hidden. She picked up a pile of clean linen that lay folded neatly outside a chamber door and made her way toward the Masters room. She clicked the door shut and dropped the linen to a crumpled mass. When had things got so bad? She dusted off her hands and sauntered around the large bed. The room was cold and lonely, like it wasn't used often. She crossed the large expanse of wooden floor to the next door that led to the dressing room, she could smell him, his scent clung to the air.

She reached the adjoining room, What could have been her room. She opened the door wide and sashayed through as if it really was her own and over to the massive bed where she had been leaving special gifts for the Countess on discovering her secret. She noticed a small note atop the bed covers, she lay across the bed and plucked the note to read.

'My Love,

I shall count the seconds until I can hold you once more.

Your Husband

She crumpled the paper in her hand. Disgusting. She had thought him in love with herself once. Yet he had never shown so much affection to herself. He had never sent her a note of declaration and never of love. Nothing so personal, she stood and threw the crumpled letter to the floor. She turned and was caught quite by surprise by the last person she expected to see. The woman who had taken her place here.

Lizzie watched the woman lie across her bed, watched her read the note she had deliberately left to be found, when she stood she braced herself. Fight Lizzie, fight for you future. Fight for you family. This is the woman who had conspired with the devil himself to keep her and Blake apart.

'Comfortable?'

She could see the shock on Lady Bovingdons face as she froze, before composing herself and giving a sadistic smile, crossing her arms over her large chest.

'Well done Elizabeth. I'm impressed'

'It's Countess to you, or Lady Arrington if your prefer.'

Her face dropped. Her plan had worked wonderfully. Who knew she could be so cunning. She had guessed that Melissa would be watching to see her leave. And when she did she would make her move, she had circled back on herself and watched the woman slip in her home. She would be sure to check all keys and how many copies of each existed.