Chapter 21

It was the middle of the night when the burning in her arm woke her. Bella sat straight up in bed looking momentarily at the dark mark on her arm which called her to her master's side. She smiled wickedly as she quickly threw her robes on and disapparated to wherever her master had called her from. Mere moments passed when she found herself in her family's formal dining room, which had been used for meetings since the Dark Lord had regained power. It took only seconds for her eyes to fall upon her master's image, sitting at the head of the table. She tried to hide the smile that was attempting to crawl across her lips as she made her way to her seat to the right of him. It was strange to be alone with him for this long when she had assumed he had called a meeting, even if it was the middle of the night.

"My Lord," she said softly as she bowed her head before taking her seat.

The Dark Lord smiled back at her, his alluring little smirk that drove Bella wild. She could not help but to smile back at him, enjoying another private moment with the man she craved.

"My dear Bella," he hissed softly before a loud pop broke their gaze.

The rest of his inner circle had finally begun to arrive, most still half asleep as they took their places around the long table. There were not very many people which lent itself to the idea that they had a mission coming up. Only the people that needed to be here were invited. Her brother-in-law Lucius sat next to her, where her sister usually sat, which confirmed her suspicions. A few more people took their seats before the Dark Lord spoke.

"Tonight I have received some troubling news. It would appear that Mister Fortescue has been hiding away mudbloods under his shop in Diagon Alley. He also has some very important information that I need." He paused only briefly as he looked over his followers, "I want the mudbloods killed, his shop destroyed and Mister Fortescue brought back her for interrogation." The excitement on Bella's bloodthirsty face was undeniable, and she knew her master could see it too. "Bellatrix will lead a group of you to Mister Fortescue's shop while the rest of you will disperse through Diagon Alley to make sure no one interferes with this task." His words were final as he left the room in a puff of black smoke, leaving his followers to carry out his will.

Bella stood up first, looking over everyone. Only now did she notice that her "husband" Rodolphus and his brother Rabastan had not been called here tonight. As much as she could not stand him, she would have liked him there.

"Okay, Lucius, Dolohov, and Rowle; you are with me," she hissed as she disapparated in a cloud of black, her manic laughter filling the room as she departed.

She was quickly joined in the dark streets of Diagon Alley by her hand-selected team. There was no denying how important she felt carrying out her master's orders. With a quick glance at the death eaters around her, she flicked her wand and blew the door to his shop off the hinges. Her laughter was all you could hear as the door crashed into the ice cream shop.

"Come out, come out wherever you are!" she cackled as she stepped over the broken door, followed closely by fellow death eaters. "Florean! I just want to talk to you!" she hissed as she shattered the glass ice cream display.

While she would much rather torture and kill the filthy mudbloods in his basement she knew that her master would want her to be the one to bring Florean to him. She crept through the shop and up the stairs to where he lived while Lucius, Dolohov, and Rowle headed downstairs to take care of the filth. With another flick of her wand, she blew the door to his house off into the living room.

"We can do this the easy way, or the hard way," she shouted as she stepped over the threshold, over the door, and into his partially destroyed living room. As she turned to look through the rest of the house she was shocked to see a pair of Order of the Phoenix members standing in his dining room. Without missing a beat, she sent a stream of hot green light into the closest person, a young which that she was not familiar with.

"Looks like it's going to be the hard way," she laughed as the girl's lifeless body hit the floor. The tall, lanky wizard shot a stunning spell as Bella which she blocked and deflected with an easy flick of her wrist. "You are really going to have to try hard," she mocked as she sent her favorite spell into the man's chest.

Red light poured from her wand as the man writhed and cried in pain, Bella's laughter growing with every scream. As her latest victim's screams slowly began to die down she heard hurried footsteps on the stairs leading to where she was. She turned, wand ready for the oncoming battle as several more witches and wizards filed into the house. As eye contact was made and she began blocking spells she felt something cool wrap around her and disapparate. Anger filled her body, who would dare pull her away from her master's task? When she found herself back in Malfoy Manor she was ready to kill whoever was still holding on to her. She spun around, wand grasped tightly in her hand when her fury filled eyes landed on the image of the Dark Lord himself. Confusion replaced her anger as she searched his ever guarded face.

"My Lord?" was all she was able to speak.

Why would he take her away? Did he not feel her capable of taking on the stupid members of the Order? He still had not let go of her but then as if almost a sudden realization of what had just happened he released her and stepped back. His face was as unreadable as ever, and his silence only added to her confusion and allowed her anger to begin to creep back in.

"Why?" she asked softly, her eyes pleading with his. She never questioned her master, but this she just did not understand. Her master remained quiet, turning and walking away from her. Bella's anger boiled within her, "Why!?" she shouted furiously.

She immediately knew she should not have spoken to her master in such a tone, but for once she really did not regret it. She watched the anger flush through his whole being, as he rushed at her his wand out.

The next thing she knew she was thrown against the wall, her master now only millimeters away from her face, a cold hand wrapped around her neck. The fact that she was not already dead was a good sign, but it did not mean that he would not take her life tonight. Her eyes were unrelenting, glaring back at his cold, angry stare.

"How dare you question me!" he shouted at her. "You have always been my most loyal servant, I never expected such an outburst from you," he hissed, his face almost touching hers now. For a moment she thought she saw a flash of something softer behind his eyes, so she took her opportunity to speak.

"I'm sorry my lord." Her words were soft, like her eyes, as she tried to not be angry with her master; which she was finding increasingly difficult with his lips so close to hers.

She had to just have faith that there was a reason for his strange actions, she also needed to resist the urge to kiss him as he held her between himself and the wall. He finally released his grip from her neck, but he did not move right away. He looked at her for a moment longer before he took her hand and led her away from the wall. Only then did she realize that she was once again in her master's room, a warm fire crackling in the fireplace. As he led her to sit by the fire he finally spoke again.

"You are my most loyal and your safety is important," he hissed softly. No one had so blatantly cared about her well-being, besides her sister, but this felt different.

"Thank you, my lord," she said wondering how far she would be able to push her luck tonight.

Theysat in silence for a moment before Bella curled up next to her master, one armresting casually behind him. She really did not care at this point in time, sheloved him and while they were alone until he told her otherwise, she was goingto do as she pleased. She was slightly surprised to feel his arm reach aroundher, holding her close to him.