Chapter 2

I had to leave the office early because I have my weekly dinner with Liam, Mason and Avery at Liam and I's house. I took an ice pack home with me, only because Danny insisted, and so when I walked into my house with an ice pack, Liam freaked out.
"What happened? Are you okay? Sit."
Liam's said as he pulled a chair out from the table.
"Hi Rocket," I said as I greeted my dog. "I dislocated my shoulder tackling a suspect. No big deal. I'll help with dinner." ignoring the chair I moved towards the kitchen.
"You're impossible." Liam said. "Here chop the tomatoes for the salad."
Once Avery and Mason got here we all sat down and started talking about our week. Liam and my parents moved to the mainland after their best friend had 'committed suicide'. Nobody believes that it was suicide, I mean who plans a vacation and then kills themselves the day before they left - after packing their bags too. HPD dropped the case because they couldn't find evidence of foul play. Our parents said it was to painful to stay here without the McGivers and so they left. Masons dad had died when he was young and his mom just passed a few years back. Cancer, and the tumor was fast growing. Avery's mom and dad live on Oahu and they come to dinner every once in a while.
I looked at my phone halfway through dinner and saw that I had gotten a text from Danny.
Danny
Hey, Sang Min talked -got an address. I have to go on a stakeout tonight to do surveillance. Care to join?
Harper
Ooh tempting offer. I'll think about it.
Danny
I'll bring some donuts...
Harper
You've got yourself a deal.
Danny
I'll pick you up around 10
Harper
You got it!
After dinner, I began to pack a night bag for the stakeout. I packed two beers and a few munchies as well. I heard a car pull up and grabbed my stuff to head out.
"How's the shoulder?" Danny said as he grabbed my bag to throw it in the backseat.
I looked down at my shoulder, and it was very black and blue. "Looks worse than it feels."
We pulled up to the house we were surveilling and settled in with binoculars. "So, I saw two cars in the driveway... roommate?" Danny said awkwardly.
"Brother" I said chuckling. "You should've seen his face when I walked into my house after work today."
"I'm guessing he's protective over you?" Danny asked.
"You have no idea. Especially after what happened with my parents."
Danny put down his binoculars and looked at me with those big green eyes. "What happened to your parents?"
I told him everything from when I was growing up and they were both beat cops and then my mom got promoted to detective, to when they decided that Hawaii wasn't the place for them anymore.
"I'm sorry Harp. That must be really rough on you and..." he questioned.
"Liam."
"Liam." Danny said.
There was a long silence. It wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't comfortable either. Not yet anyways. "So what about you?" I asked.
"Huh?" He whipped his head around.
"Well, I just basically told you my life story, I expect something in return..." I smirked at him. Harper are you flirting? We talked about this... I thought to myself.
"Well, technically you told me about your parents life story....okay okay. I am originally from Jersey. I moved out here because my ex wife brought my daughter out here with her new husband. I wanted to be near my daughter so I had to move out to this hot and sweaty rock."
"How old is she?" I asked turning to face Danny.
"7. Her name is Grace. She's ... well, she's the only thing I have." He said looking at me.
I smiled at him and let the moment settle. After a second or two I said "oh c'mon. You have McGarrett too! And me!"
"McGarrett uses me for my car and as a shield when we get shot at. And you... I just met you." He replied laughing. "I mean - I just met all of you. The whole team."
"I have a feeling this team is gonna do great things."
"Yeah. Me too." Danny replied. We ended up keeping the conversation going all night. We talked about the shrimp truck, our family's, and by the time we saw the sunrise we were onto Grace and boys.
"What's wrong with a girl being friends with a boy?" I asked chuckling.
"When you're the girls dad, a lot is wrong with it. She's seven. I didn't think I would have to worry about boys until at least twelve." Danny replied.
"In the olden days girls would be married by twelve."
"Don't remind me."
"I would love to meet her. She sounds like a blast." I said smiling. " I love kids. They are so much fun!"
"You two would get along really well. Maybe I'll bring her to the Friday night Panthers football game." Danny said.
"That would be awesome!!" I replied. "Wow. That sunrise is gorgeous!"
Danny's POV
"Wow. That sunrise is gorgeous!" Harper said. I let my eyes wander from the rising sun to her face. Washed in gold from the sun here green-brown eyes sparkled. God she was gorgeous. Her brown hair was a little tousled from the sleepless night but to me it looked perfect. She glanced over at me and I quickly adverted my eyes. C'mon Danny. She is a coworker. Plus you don't know how you feel about Rachel yet. You just got things to a good place between you two. Don't mess it up. Maybe I wanna mess things up though. I have to make a choice. Plus she just caught you staring at her. I thought to myself.
"Yeah. That's something you don't see in Jersey." I replied.
"See! Maybe you will like this "hot and sweaty rock." Harper said with a smile.
"Maybe I will." I replied. "Time to get back to HQ."
"My house is on the way. We should stop by and freshen up." Harper replied.
I headed over to her house and pulled up. She showered first as I made us breakfast of Frittatas, my specialty. She came out of the shower in just a towel.
"What is that delicious smell?" Harper asked.
"Huh? Hi." I said as I tried to look anywhere but at her. What are you a 13 year old boy? Control yourself. "I made us frittatas. For breakfast. They're all done just sitting in the oven to keep them warm."
"Why don't you hop in the shower and I'll set the table for us. Deal?" Harper said as she walked into her bedroom. I watched her go and the went to the living room to grab my clothes and a towel.
We ate breakfast and joked around with each other until about 7:00 and then headed to HQ.
"I'll meet you there. I'm gonna take my car." Harper said.
• • •
"Find anything?" Steve said as I walked into the office.
"What are you talking about?" I replied heading towards my office.
"The stakeout that you were supposed to be on all night... unless you were distracted..." Chin said with a chuckle.
I froze in the doorway of my office and slowly spun around to see Chin and Steve snickering to themselves. "Oh. That. Well, for you information, no we didn't find anything. But not because I was distracted, because there was no activity all night. Now, am I free from this interrogation?"
"We asked one question Danno" Steve said to me.
I decided that I wanted to get out of the office, so I grabbed my paperwork off my desk and walked down to the beachfront in front of the Palace. I sat on a bench and about a half hour after I sat there I felt someone stick a gun to the back of my neck.
"Get up. Right now. Don't make any fast moves. I will shoot you. C'mon. This way." I got up and walked towards a van and got in the back. The door slammed and I put my head in my hands. My only hope is 5-0.