Chapter 7

"Hey, you ready?" Danny asked, popping his head into my office.
"What?" I said glaring daggers at him.
He closed the door and plopped down into the chair in my office. "Dinner remember? I promised you dinner tonight."
"Oh. I'm good." I said sarcasm dripping off of each word.
"Uhh... okay... did I do something?" Danny said completely confused.
"Why don't you go ask that girl from the crime scene. I bet she'd love dinner." I said going back to my computer.
I heard Danny get up and shut my laptop, I had to pull my hands out just in time. "Because I am asking you and I don't know who you're even talking about." Danny said softly.
"The girl you were flirting with at the crime scene." I said looking up at him. "You told Duke to 'keep extra care of this one'"
"She was one of the Governors daughters best friends. She was the only reason why we were given the case. HPD believed that Briana and Anna were connected. They were right. I was trying to tell Duke that without blurting it out."
"Oh..." I said sheepishly. "It just sounded really flirty and I-"
"Harp." Danny said as he walked around the desk and wrapped me up in his big arms. "You know that there is nobody I'd rather be with than you right?"
"If you say so..." I replied.
"Well, I do say so." He pulled me a little closer. "Now, I need you to trust me and let me in. I promise you. I will never hurt you." I looked into his eyes and all I saw was earnest love and honesty. I guess I could try to let him in.
"I just need time. Is that okay?" I asked Danny, shyly.
"Of course, Harp. I just want you to be comfortable. Anything I can do just say the word, yeah?" He strikes my hair and pushed it out of my face. I smiled at him and pressed my lips against his.
"You are the sweetest guy in the world, has anyone told you that?" I asked him.
"Not anyone as important as you." He replied and kissed me again. "Now, don't get me wrong, I love this mushy stuff, but I'm super hungry and I promised a very pretty girl that I would take her out to dinner tonight..."
"Oh right!" I replied laughing. Danny grabbed my hand and led us out of my office and downstairs.
•      •      •
     After dinner we decided to grab a scoop of shave ice and take a nice walk on the beach. We talked about everything from the stars to our childhood to why we became cops. It seemed as if every time I interacted with Danny I fell for him more and more. He is honestly one of the sweetest guys in the world.
     "How did I get a guy like you? You make me so happy." I said as I leaned my head on his shoulders.
     "You have it all backwards, babe. I don't even compare to you." Danny replied.
     Danny cupped my face and pulled me in for a tender kiss. After we got back to my house I let Danny stay the night again.
      "Hey I get Grace this weekend and I was wondering if you wanted to take her to the Zoo with me on Sunday?" Danny asked as we were laying in bed about to fall asleep.
     "I would love to." I replied. He really trusts me with Grace. I thought as I fell asleep with a huge smile on my face.