Two Against the World

Levi's POV

What the hell am I even doing? This is reckless, completely crazy. Two people against titans and the brat really thinks we can make it to the damned ocean. I can't believe she hugged me. The nerve of her.

If I make it back alive, i know a really pissed off Erwin will be waiting for me. I'm neglecting my duties here, like training the cadets, watching over Eren, and also all that paperwork on my desk.

Should i have brought Eren with me? No, dealing with the other brat is enough.

At least she knows how to ride a horse but, i am reminded that she doesnt know how to use her gear. Yeah, this the mess i got myself into. It is too late now, we are outside the walls.

"When we find my friends, maybe everyone would like to move to Fiore," she says.

This girl is way too optimistic but, she doesnt know this world like I do. How cruel it really is. How dreams are snuffed out in a second. Anything can go wrong.

"So tell me about your self," she turn back to smile at me.

What is her deal, "i think we should be focusing on not getting killed."

Did she just pout and some reason i found it.... cute....

"Fine... what do you want to know?"

"What part of the walls did you come from? I noticed from the cadets they came from so many differents places."

"The underground," why am i telling her this stuff?

She gives me a questioning look.

"I guess you wouldnt know what that is, its an underground city underneath the walls. Mostly criminals live there."

"Were you one?"

"Yeah."

"How did you become part of the survey corps?"

"Erwin found me and my two friends."

"Is Hange one of those friends?"

I scoff, "shitty glasses? No. She is more like someone who forces themselves into your life, destroying any and all peace."

She laughs, "thats not very nice."

"I dont think she'd be hurt by it," which is true. She doesnt even mind her nickname. I afraid to admit she might like it when im mean to her or push her away.

"The way she talked about me, made me think you guys were close somehow."

"I've known her for a while."

"What are your friends then?"

My chest ached by saying their names, it has been so long, "Farlen and Isabel."

"They came with you to join?"

I nod.

"I havent met them yet."

"And you won't," I say with as little emotion as possible.

Lucy looks at me, finally understanding, "I'm sorry. Were they part of your squad?" Her eyes look glossy.

Does she still feel guilt for that?

"No, it was long before."

I can see her thinking hard, "Are you and Erwin friends?"

I sigh, "he is the commander. I dont have friends anymore."

The brat stops her horse and looks at me, her deep brown eyes feel like shes looking into my soul. I hate it, it makes me feel... naked? Thats too weird of a word. Vulnerabe? Hm... still weird...

"We are friends though, right?"

For some reason i look at her lips. They are curved into smile so genuine. My heart picks up pace. Damn this girl, what a pain she is.

"If you want to call yourself that," I just say.

Her hand rest on my arm, "I will."

The spot she touched on my arm burns, wanting it to return. I fix my cravat, watching her ride off. I follow her.

"Don't get too far brat," and with that warning. The first footsteps are heard, "Just how shitty can this day get?"

It is coming from the right. I yell for Lucy to stop. I can't let her out of my sight.

"Ill fight it with you!" She shouts to me.

"Dont you dare," I command right away.

I clip onto the titans shoulder and jump off my horse. I soin around to the back of its neck leaving a deep clean cut behind me. I  did it without getting a single drop of blood on me.

I turn around fast when i hear a scream.

"Lucy!" To my horror she is in its hand. I have no idea where her horse is but, that is not what matters.

It must be an abnormal.

She is squirming, kicking out at its face. I have to make it in time.

I cut its nap, not worried about the blood anymore. Then come around to cut off its hand. The grip loosens and Lucy is falling. I reach out my hand, watching her blonde hair swirl around her face. Her eyes wide with fear.

She reaches out and when our hands meet, i pull her in close to me. There is nothing for my gear to grab onto anymore. I rest my hands behind her waist and her head, holding her against me, waiting for the impact with the ground.

The wind gets knocked right out of me and we roll across the grass. My body is really going to ache and I'm pretty sure i agitated my still injured leg.

"Levi," a soft voice calls out to me, "are you okay."

I let out a groan, opening my eyes, "are you?"

"Yeah, probably thanks to you though," she is looking down, her bangs covering her eyes.

"What is your problem?"

"Im grateful to you. I just wish i didnt need protecting all the time... even in my country where there is magic its the same way."

I sit up and instinctivly touch my leg. It hurts like hell but, still i speak, "that is what your worried about right now? Tch..."

She stands and holds out her hand, "your hurt," her voice is strained, broken.

"I was before we left. What of it?" I stand without her assistance.

I whistle for my horse and we jump on. Her arms wrap around me tightly. I can feel my cheeks heat up just slightly. Must be because of the pain... i hope. The moment was killed quickly though as a loud explosion is heard in the distance.

We look towards it and see flames.

"What the hell?" It was not normal fire. It seeked controlled somehow.

"Natsu...." she gently says.

I look at her and see her eyes sparkling.

"Ride towards it," she dares to command me.

"Tch, normal people would run away from it."

"Its my friend," what does she mean by that? Lucy talks about magic but, i dont want to believe that is what it is. Its too impossible. She said there is no magic here.

"Huh? How do you know that?"

"Just a feeling."