Chapter Three: Even More Complications

Published: 4.21.18, 12:20 AM

Words: 1173

I've really enjoyed writing these few chapters so far. I hope you enjoy reading them as I love writing them!

Adrien shook off his initial pain, hoping that Marinette would meet him at the nurse's office. After all, Adrien was badly hurt. He didn't want it to get infected. And she had his... My book bag! Adrien thought. Plagg is still in there!

Adrien couldn't detect where she was last at, and trusted that Marinette would never look through his stuff. There have been a few die-hard fans who would do anything to find out more about the famed model, but he knew that Marinette was honorable. Right? He shuffled back to the opposite hallway towards the nurse, anxiety written clearly on his forehead.

Marinette closed the ladies' room door, invigorated with new energy to find the boy she abandoned. Oh, I hope he doesn't think I'm even weirder than he did before. She face-palmed, replaying the event in her mind. Wow, I feel like an idiot now. I better hurry.

Marinette ran back the way she came, but no Adrien in sight. "He must've gone to the nurse," Tikki whispered from the coin purse. "I hope you're right, Tikki." Marinette answered back as she made her way cautiously towards the nurse's office.

The shrill bell cried as the first class of the morning came to a close. Students swarmed the hallways, surrounding Marinette on every side. Alya came bouldering towards the small pig-tailed girl, asking all kinds of questions about why Marinette was absent. "Were you skipping? Our sweet Marinette, skipping?!" Alya half-joked. With Marinette, it seemed she was completely unpredictable. One moment she was the perfect student, the next she wouldn't show up to school at all, giving empty excuses, like "My dog caught on fire," or "I slept in until 3 in the afternoon," or, Alya's favorite, "I was helping Ladybug and Chat Noir with an akuma!"

Alya knew that her friend had secrets, and she respected Marinette's privacy, despite her instincts to find the latest scoop, as the professional reporters would say, in every situation.

Alya smirked at her best friend, waiting for a response. "Well," Marinette began, "It all started when I ate an unripe banana...." Marinette continued her story (leaving out the conversation with Tikki) as they walked slowly towards Alya's next class. "... So now I'm on my way to meet Adrien at the nurse, or I hope I'm meeting him there. I ran off with his bag, and his hands looked pretty beaten up." Alya processed her words, silent for a while in shock. Until, suddenly, "Marinette! Do you know what this means?!" Alya screeched, making Marinette start. "No, Alya! Why are you yelling?"

"Adrien just risked his life to save you, girl! Not only is that incredibly brave and selfless, it shows that he notices you, despite what you might think. This is the perfect opportunity to get to know him, and become maybe more than just friends," she ended with a knowing smile and bouncy eyebrows. "I doubt it," Marinette replied quiet enough so as not to let Alya hear her dejected response. She honestly distrusted the idea that Adrien had any interest in her, friendly or romantically. Especially not romantically, she thought.

The two girls stopped in front of Alya's second class, exchanging goodbyes. "Will I see you after school today, then?" Alya asked her friend. "No, I, uh," Marinette stuttered. The girl didn't want to seem rude, but it had already been a long day, and it's only been twenty minutes! "I have to get my work back from my missed classes, so I'll be doing that all night. So sorry!" Marinette ended with a genuine smile.

Alya saw through her diversion, although mostly true, but decided to let her off the hook this time. She returned her smile, and walked to her desk. Marinette kept up her hand, waving until Alya turned the corner. Speaking of hands, Marinette thought, I need to find Adrien!

Marinette ran down two hallways, empty except for the few kids actually skipping class. She at first lost her sense of direction, until Tikki poked her head out a bit and guided the lost girl towards a small niche in the administration hallway. A heavy wooden door with no windows and a small plaque over the doorway read "infirmière," or "nurse". She knocked on the thick wood, listening for any voices on the other end. Only small mumbles were heard, even with her enhanced hearing. "Come in!" cried a shrill voice. Marinette pushed the door into the room, exposing two stretchers in the corner, a weighing balance, and several nutritional posters pasted sloppiliy among the white walls of the office.

Marinette found the school nurse on a stool, pouring over a stack of files, with no Adrien in sight. "Um, hi, ma'am." Marinette found herself being uncomfortable with adults. And Adrien. And anyone else who wasn't her friend.

"Can I help you, dear?" the sweet middle-aged woman asked. She had thick gray hair stacked on her head, neatly restrained with an antique-looking pin, paired with a neatly choreographed green sweater, which was covered by a white coat, and plain wire-rimmed glasses. Her sleeves were rolled up, a pen in her right hand.

Marinette renewed her energy, thinking of only finding Adrien, trying somehow to repay her debt to him for saving her life. "I'm looking for my frie--Adrien, I'm looking for Adrien Agreste."

The experienced woman pushed up her glasses, "Why, I can't just give out patient information willy-nilly, but I can say that a certain Mr. Agreste was here, in fact. He went on and on about how he was looking for his friend Marinette, and how they were supposed to meet up here, in my office. His wounds weren't too deep in his hands, which you may already know of, so i cleaned and patched him up in no time, then sent him back home. He can't very well write or type with his mangled hands, now can he?" The woman finished with a chuckle.

"Oh, why did I run away from him?!" Marinette groaned. She let her frustration show, but kept a kind voice. "Thanks anyway, Madame...?"

"Oh, deary, call me Heloise. Your generation can be so formal sometimes," the nurse replied, turning back to her piles of files. Marinette found the kindness of this woman to be charming, and she was glad that Adrien had met Heloise.

Well, now I have Adrien's school bag, and no way to get it to him other than in person.... The thought sent shivers over Marinette's spine at the idea of spending even more time with the boy of her dreams. Even if he is tired of talking to me all morning, he'll get his stuff back. Oh, I hope he doesn't think it's weird letting me keep his bag until the end of school!

Hey buds it's me again lol Hope you enjoy the story so far! Since it's the weekend, I'll be writing a couple more chapters. Stay tuned!