Chapter Ten: The World's Best

Published: June 23nd, 2018

Words: 1727

{ can you imagine joining the great british baking show and getting kicked off the first episode? think about going to your friends after you told everyone that you've joined one of the most famous baking shows in the UK but was sent home the FIRST DAY. that shame is unbearable. anyway here's chapter ten }

Heloise apologized profusely as she held her grandson close to herself. "Think nothing of it, ma'am," Ladybug replied. "We're just glad you two are safe." The two heroes had found the boy in an abandoned vehicle a few streets down. The driver of the car seemed to run away from the akuma fight, fearing for his own life and leaving the kidnapped boy behind.

She's always so selfless, Adrien thought as Chat Noir. The cat-themed hero waved to the woman and her grandson before he and Ladybug catapulted (i'm sorry) themselves to a further rooftop. They landed next to each other, spots meeting sheek darkness. Chat Noir faced his partner, but avoided her eyes. "Thank you for helping me out there. I'm not sure what came over me," he said.

Ladybug's features softened. "Chat, I felt it too. There's nothing to apologize for." Chat Noir glanced up, taking in Ladybug's beauty as she smiled endearingly at him. His heart seemed to melt onto the ground.

"You felt it too? But you were so calm and collected--"

Ladybug placed an index finger on Chat's lips, ceasing his blabbering. "I'm not invincible, kitty. Bubonique startled me, but when I saw that she had convinced you did I snap back to reality." She removed her finger, leaving Adrien's mouth agape from surprise. Ladybug seemed hesitant.

"I...I can't do this without you, Chat. Our responsibilities are piling up, and I'm slowly losing my grip. All I need is the knowledge that you're always by my side, and I can rest, knowing that Paris is safe with the two of us to be there for her." Chat Noir stared at Ladybug, unable to comprehend what he was hearing. She can't do this without me? But she's Ladybug! The spotted hero's words echoed in his mind. "I'm not invincible, kitty."

The two stood closely to each other, taking in the night's events. Ladybug's earrings began their warning beep, and she jumped at the sudden noise. Chat admired that she wasn't perfect, making her all the more attractive to him. "Oops. Gotta go, kitty. See you around!" Ladybug began to walk off of the roof, yo-yo twirling. Adrien's anxiety creeped back into his mind as he realized that Marinette's father was probably in the akuma attack.

"W-Wait! Ladybug, did you see Bubonique attack anyone coming from the evening market?" Ladybug paused, and turned her head. "...Not anyone I could see. Why? Did you know someone in the crowd?" She asked, shifting her stance to look at her partner better.

"Yeah, I think... it was the owner from the bakery down the street." Ladybug stiffened, which Chat noticed, but he didn't think much of. "Y-Yeah! I saw him in m--his bakery when we were searching for Heloise's grandson. He's safe." Adrien relaxed. Marinette would be glad to find her father unharmed. "Thank you, Ladybug." The red superhero smiled, then swung off of the roof, out of sight. Chat stared into the darkness, noticing the empty space Ladybug had left behind.

* * * * *

"NO!"

Hawk Moth stabbed his cane into the basement floor. White moths flew from the loud impact. He growled loudly, unafraid of anyone hearing; even his assistant, who he trusted beyond regular circumstances.

"How could they defeat me? How?!" Hawk Moth's suit deteriorated as he called his kwami to detransform him. Nooroo flew out of the miraculous, concern written on his brow.