2

Day 2
The day Saffron Walters returned.

For some reason it was like the clouds had cleared away and a sudden breeze swept throughout the heated café, another a day I wish I wouldn't have to be stuck behind a counter top, serving hot drinks and plain sandwiches to rude customers.

But it was at this time that you found yourself once again within my sight. Although, I knew this time I wouldn't let you get away without my possession of your phone number.

When you saw me smiling welcomingly to you, you returned it with an "Oh, you again." And another one of those stunning grins.

Asking you if you wanted the same, you knitted your eyebrows together in a perplexed manner, "I have a good memory," was the only way I was able to cover that one up.

You smiled and nodded along while I went away with making your order. This time, just before you found your newly claimed table and engrossed yourself within the text, I caught back your attention.

I knew I was right once I had said that you were new to this town, but you were still - for some reason, unsure of me.

"You could be a book thief or a chainsaw maniac for all I know,"

"A book thief, really?" And that was the first time that I heard that laugh of yours, you covered up your mouth as you did so for what reason I cannot seem to understand. "Would a 'book thief' be working in some cramped corner café?"

With another small chuckle and shake of your head, you glanced down once again to try and hide your smile from me. Why would someone do such a thing as hide a precious sight from a world which needed more of the sort?

I couldn't help but look to you: sharing the same amusement, "What's your name?" you finally questioned, giving me hope that you were in some way curious.

"Ethan Samuels, at your service mam."

When you beamed yet again, I knew that for some reason you found my name amusing.

"I had goldfish called Sam once... but he died so I flushed him down the toilet."

"Is this your pick up line that you always use on new people then?"

Who the hell calls a goldfish Sam anyway?

Although, it seemed that whatever I was saying that day was working because you ended up handing me that phone number of yours.

"I date a girl called Saffron, actually."

"Oh... really?" Your smile faded and you folded your arms, challengingly.

"Yeah, but I guess she just doesn't know it yet."

You cracked a new grin, before walking: with another cup of your bitter coffee to your favoured table.

I continued to watch your actions, glancing back to me every so often before smiling discretely to yourself: quickly tucking a strand of hair behind your ear.

It was at this point that I had decided I selfishly wanted to play a small part in the life of Saffron Walters.

Day 2, the day I achieved something amazing. Saffron Walter's phone number.