The Invitation | Jason

Jason had just woken up and picked up the phone and noticed the lighted screen.

"Good morning, I need you for a job... if you're still available, of course.
-Alicia"

Snorting, he had lazily put the phone on the bedside table and turned away. He did not want to answer Alicia right away because she probably would have put her head on it: even if it was just business for him, for her they clearly were not. She probably misunderstood Jason's way of flirting with everyone, and how to blame her for the rest. He did it without thinking, he was used to do it, but he was not so used to bind himself. It was like a game for him. After about ten minutes he heard the phone shake insistently and after grabbing it, he answered without looking at who was calling: there was no need.

<Hello Alicia> he said quietly.

<...ehm hello Jason... Do I bother you? Because if it's not a good time I can always call you back later> he had taken her on the counterattack, responding first. It was enough for him to mess up her plans.

<No, you don't disturb me at all, in fact I'm glad to hear from you. How are you?> He was sincerely interested in knowing how Alicia was, knowing what was going on with Peter and the election campaign.

<I'm fine Jason, thank you> Alicia smirked with satisfaction at having aroused his interest.

<So, what do you need Alicia?> Jason asked her without hesitation.

<I would need you to do some research on the properties of Caleb Maxwell, to see if between 2008 and 2010 he bought land near to those of Flix Company>

<Consider it done>

<Thanks. And Jason, maybe it will seem like a stupid idea but...> Alicia said hesitantly, overwhelmed by embarrassment.

<What?>

<Nothing, I was wondering if you would like to come to my house one of these nights...>

<With pleasure, Alicia> he did not even let her finish the sentence.

<...yes, to talk about business obviously. I'd like you to work for me, um for us, full time.> Jason knew exactly where she wanted to go and decided to go along with it.

<Obviously> he answered with a serious but also ironic tone. He could not see Alicia's face but he knew that on the other end of the phone she was blushing. So Jason took the opportunity to blow the final hit and without giving her time he said: <See you tonight then> and without waiting for an answer, ended the call.

He knew Alicia was interested in him but also knew he could not give her what she was looking for, but that would not have made him quit.

On the other end, Alicia had lost a beat when she heard those words in a languid voice and was staring at the screen in disbelief. When she came back to reality, she burst into hysterical laughter, threw the phone on the bed and threw herself headlong into the closet to look for a dress to impress Jason with.