Chapter One

DISCLAIMER: This book is 100% made up, obviously, and I want you guys to know that it may not go along with other werewolf stories you have read. There's a few things that aren't completely the same and there's a few things that are similar to other sorties (i.e. Werewolves die when they get shot with a silver bullet). I literally died research on werewolves so I could be as accurate as I could but multiple different people say different things which is why I took stuff from here and there and combined it.

P.S. The picture is Ophelia.

Anyways, onto the story. Please let me know what you think!

Chapter One

I brushed threw my knotty hair, looking in the mirror. Today is my 16th birthday, and some of the pack members threw together a celebration. I didn't invite any of my school friends since non-werewolves were not allowed on the territory, but I had my pack friends and family here which was fine by me.

"Ophelia? Honey everybody is waiting on you." My mother knocked on the door, and then entered as she spoke.

"I know, I know. I over slept this morning, so I was late to training and Arion made me stay later for it." I explained as I hurriedly switched into my dress. It wasn't anything too fancy but it did look nice. It was one of my mothers old dresses to which she tailored to my figure.

"Do I look alright?" I asked my mother, giving a quick twirl.

"You look beautiful." She smiled. "Now let's go before they start a riot!"

"...happy birthday dear, Ophelia. Happy birthday to you!" Everybody sang as I smiled. When we had came down the stairs multiple people gave me hugs and kisses, giving me happy birthday's. After we had eaten the burgers and hot dogs that's when they had sung happy birthday to me and now it was my turn to make a wish.

'I wish I could just be happy.' I wished and then blew out the candles.

We cut the cake, and then when everybody had a piece we sat down. Some of the people told a few jokes making everyone laugh. My parents told a few stories of me when I was younger.

It went on for a little while longer until some of the pack members had to leave. There was a group of viscous rouges on the territory. We all had to go inside just to take precaution. Not all the defenders had gone, only the better fighters, which included my brother.

Although he was a year younger than me he was not built like it. He was extremely strong and an excellent fighter, but that didn't mean that we wouldn't worry when he would leave to fight and protect us.

We continued to talk amongst ourselves, but you could tell the mood had been brought down a peg or two. Rouges are not my favorite at all; they had killed a few of the pack members before, which was terrible. Esepcially for the mates of the late members. I've only seen on the outside how much pain it causes them, and I could never imagine that much pain inside of me.

I looked over at my mom and I could tell she was worried. I told her everything would be alright, but it felt like something was wrong. It had been almost an hour since they left and it usually doesn't take this long.

They did say it was a group of rouges though. That's probably why they're taking a little longer this time. I thought to myself.

I saw that the guys had started coming back, tired and worn out, but I didn't see my brother. My mind started jumping to conclusions.

What if he got seriously injured? Maybe he's in the infirmary. What if he isn't there? Could he've gotten himself killed? No no no he has to be fine, he has to. I couldn't stop thinking of all the possibilities that could've happened.

I saw Alpha Samuel heading our way, and I couldn't bare to hear those words. My eyes welled up with tears. He looked at all of us with such sadness. "I'm so sorry. Matthew didn't make it through this fight. He had been attacked from the back and killed before we could even do anything." He explained.

Tears rushed down my face and I screamed. "No! No! He can't be gone! No." I sobbed into my hands and I felt my parents hug me from both sides. This couldn't be happening. He was just here sitting with us laughing and talking perfectly fine and now he's... gone.

I ran to my room and locked myself in here. I had to be alone. I threw off my dress and put on my sweat pants and t-shirt. I cried and cried into my pillow for a while. My father had been trying to get in but my mother told him to stop. I just needed time to be alone.

I don't know how long it had been before my stomach started to growl. I looked at the clock and it was already nine a night. I didn't want to speak to anybody, but I did just want some food.

I enhanced my hearing to see if anybody was outside the door, and thankfully there wasn't anybody. I walked quietly hoping nobody would notice me. There were three different families that lived in this house so I didn't want to run into anyone of them. I'm sure the whole pack heard what happened so the amount of sympathy and pity I would get was going to be annoying. Although I was mourning over my brother's loss, that didn't mean I was broken.

I reached the kitchen and took out ingredients to make a sandwich. Along with the sandwich, I ate a big bag of chips, and a reheated cheeseburger. I was currently sitting on the kitchen floor eating cookies 'n cream ice cream and quietly crying. I had a problem of eating a little too much when I was sad. That probably would explain my pudgy stomach.

I didn't really like my body at all. I always thought I was too big. My mother always told me I was perfect the way I was but I just nodded and went along with her. I knew I wasn't fat it's just I wasn't as skinny or fit as the other girls.

I finally finished the tub of ice cream when I heard somebody coming down the stairs. I got up off the floor and tried not to look like a crazy person. I wiped my tears off my face and threw away the empty container.

I felt a strong presence behind me so I turned around. It was a guy who looked just a little older than me, but I've never seen him before.

His eyes were green around his pupil that softly turned into a light brown toward the edges of his iris. They were so compelling I couldn't look away. I felt a light ring in my ears and my heart rate jerked up higher. I could feel a strong pull towards him and we both walked closer to each other.

We hadn't said anything yet but we didn't need to. I knew he was my mate and I'm sure he knew it to.

I wanted to at least hug him but all the was filled up in my mind was the news of my brother, and I couldn't think of anything but that right now.

I took a step back while tears slowly blurred my vision. "I'm sorry I can't do this right now."

He looked hurt for a second before he masked his emotions. "Are you rejecting me?" He asked quietly.

"No I'm asking for you to wait for a little while. My brother ...he... passed away today. I just need time to grieve." I said sniffling and choking back the tears.

I wiped my eyes and then felt him hug me. "I understand, but I'll be here if you need me. You don't have to go through this alone." His words vibrated against me and it made me feel better instantly. We held each other in our arms for a good while. And soon my tears cleared up.

When I went back to my room I had mixed emotions. I was still saddened by my brother's death but finding my mate made me over delighted. I just couldn't help but feel I was just forcing myself to forget my brother by focusing my attention on my mate. I couldn't do that, I don't even know if I would still want to mate with him because if this is what losing a brother felt like I couldn't imagine my mate passing away.

I started nodding off into a slumber and had finally decided that my brother wouldn't want me to be so sad. He would want me to be happy. That's all he had wanted to do, bring happiness to people's lives.