Chapter 5 ~ Pre-exam stress and morning confrontations

In the next few days following the 'library incident' her fellow Gryffindor's kept a close eye on Lily, and anytime Snape passed them in the hallways they gave him such venemous looks one would think that they were trying to transform into a basilisk. That is to say, if looks could kill.

Nevertheless they were all itching for revenge, but as Lily had asked, they kept their wands in their pockets, though each one of them gripped their wands tightly whenever Snape or one of his 'friends' passed.

It was the morning before their defence against the dark arts O.W.L. that the last straw was drawn.

The Gryffindor's were all at breakfast, trying to get some last bit of study done, when a commotion was heard in the Entrance Hall. Curious, like many others, they rose from the Gryffindor table and went to see what the commotion was about.

Standing in a circle of students was Snape, Avery and Mulciber, with their wands pointed at none other than the two 3rd years Mary MacDonald and Mark Mckinnon, Marlene's younger brother.

Both the 3rd years also had their wands out but were no match for the three 5th years and as the older group of Gryffindor's pushed through the crowd to try and help, Mulciber disarmed the two.

It was then that the others pushed through the circle and as Marlene bent down to check on her brother and Remus went to check on Mary the other five disarmed the Slytherin's. (Peter just stood by looking nervous.)

"Severus what are you doing?" Lily demanded furiously.

"They're bloodtraitors." He spat venemously before turning to go, however by this time the Professor's had arrived and McGonogal took one look at the scene before taking 80 points from Slytherin and dealing out detentions for when they returned to school after the summer, seeing as there was only a few days left, it would be pointless giving the detentions now.

As Mark and Mary went back up to the common room, the 8 5th year Gryffindor's gathered together.

"I can't believe that, horrible git, how could he?" Lily wondered aloud.

"We could teach him a lesson. Show him what he gets for-" James began but Lily cut him off.

"No. Let the Professor's deal with it." She said.

"Why?" James demanded as the other 5th years retreated slowly, sensing a fight on the way.

"You can't honestly still be sticking up for that greasy little-"

"Of course I'm not, he's far beyond that, but you don't need to get involved too. It's nothing to do with you-"

"Actually it is to do with me. Both Mark and Mary are in the same house as me, I've known Mark since he was a baby, I've every right to defend him, and if you haven't forgotten what he did to you last week-"

"The Professors will give him plenty of punishment, anyways what happened last week is none of your business and we agreed you wouldn't do anything about it. I said I'd deal with it. I don't need your help fighting my battles-"

"I didn't say you did but that doesn't mean you can't let us help you. This needs to stop and you know it. The Professors dealing out a few detentions and taking some points isn't going to make a difference-"

"So what will make a difference Potter? Because the second you start going after and attacking them you'll become just as bad as they are."

Both Lily and James had started to draw attention, and their friend were getting nervous that wands would be drawn soon.

"I'm not saying we curse them for no reason but c'mon Evans, you can't think that those three don't deserve a good hex for what they just did. For what they're always doing."

Lily had gotten mad now. "That's quite hypocritical really Potter seeing as you do the same on a regular basis." She retorted.

"Like when? When have I ever cursed someone who doesn't deserve it Evans?"

"The point isn't about whether they deserve it Potter, it's not the right way to deal with these things. You go out there and hex them, they're gonna get angry, and it's not you who'll deal with the consequences. It's going to be the younger, easier to pick on students who won't be able to defend themselves. So then after you attack them a second time, they're even angrier so the next time they attack a student it will be a lot worse. And before you know it the school we call home is turned into a full on battleground. At first it's just going to be us muggle borns who are in danger but it won't take long for all the 'bloodtraitors' start to be targeted too."

Lily took a deep breath as she finished her rant and looked at all the shocked faces staring at her. Of course it was no surprise that Potter was the first to recover. However he no longer sounded challenging and annoyed when he asked "So what can we do Evans?" He sounded genuinely concerned and interested in what she had to say.

Lily sighed as she said "I really don't know Potter."

He nodded and before anything more could be said they had been called into the Great Hall for their DADA exam.

Lily, Marlene and Alice took seats at the front with Frank and Remus while the other three boys took seats near the back of the hall.