Chapter 6 ~ Potter's Revenge

After the exam was finished Lily, Marlene and Alice decided to go relax by the lake where they were joined by Hestia Jones, Emmeline Vance and Dorcas Meadows, three other girls they were friendly with.

As the girls headed towards the water, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter went to sit beneath 'their' tree, while Frank went to find the Prewett twins.

As they made their way to the beach tree by the lake Sirius turned to Remus, “Did you like question ten, Moony?” he asked.

“Loved it," Remus replied. “‘Give five signs that identify the
werewolf.’ Excellent question.”
“D’you think you managed to get all the signs?” asked James in a tone
of mock concern.
“Think I did,” Remus replied with a grin.
“One: He’s sitting on my chair. Two: He’s wearing my clothes. Three:
His name’s Remus Lupin . . .”
Peter was the only marauder who didn’t laugh.
“I got the snout shape, the pupils of the eyes, and the tufted tail,”
he said anxiously, “but I couldn’t think what else —”
“How thick are you, Wormtail?” said James impatiently. “You run
round with a werewolf once a month —”
“Keep your voice down,” Remus implored.

“Well, I thought that paper was a piece of cake,” Sirius commented.
“I’ll be surprised if I don’t get Outstanding on it at least.”
“Me too,” said James.

James reached into his pocket and took out the tiny golden Snitch he kept there. It always relaxed him to play with it, it made him feel much calmer, as if he had some control over all the havoc in his life.

“Where’d you get that?” asked Sirius curiously.

“Nicked it,” he replied casually.

James started to play with the Snitch, he allowed it to fly away a bit, then caught it again. Peter watched him in awe as they neared their tree.

Once they had reached their beech tree they threw themselves onto the grass, taking in the sun.
Remus took out a book and began revising, James continued to play with his Snitch, not taking any notice of Peters cheers and gasps, while Sirius just looked bored.

As he was playing with his Snitch, James couldn't help glance over at Lily and the other girls down by the water. They had their shoes off and were cooling their feet in the lake, watching the giant squid bathe in the sun. He couldn't help but notice that the sunlight reflecting off the lake made Lilys hair look like it was on fire.

Shaking himself from his thoughts he returned his attention to the Snitch which had the gotten further away while he was distracted. He barley caught it this time and Peter let out a loud cheer.

Sirius turned to him, "Put that away, will you? Before Wormtail wets himself from excitement.”
Peter blushed at his comment but it was nothing unusual from the regular banter the boys often exchanged.

“If it bothers you,” he said, putting the Snitch in his pocket.

“I’m bored,” whined Sirius, “Wish it was full moon.”
“You might,” Remus said from behind his book.

“We’ve still got Transfiguration, if you’re bored you could test me. . . . Here.” Remus held his book out to Sirius who only snorted.

As the others were talking James' attention was stolen by a figure who had just emerged from the shadows of the bushes.

He remembered his conversation, or more like argument, with Lily from earlier but as he watched he couldn't help feeling an immense anger bubbling inside him.

He also recalled Mark and Mary's terrified faces from this morning, standing in a circle of students, Snape’s wand pointed at them. He remembered Lily's face as she entered the common room only a week before, he remembered the story she had told, the horrible things Snape had said to her. And that awful bruise on her wrist.