𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

CHAPTER TWENTY( bad blood, part iii )

CHAPTER TWENTY
( bad blood, part iii )

"So let me get this straight," Clary cleared her throat. "I only have two options. I could either bury Simon or.. stake him."

The word left a bad taste on Clary's tongue, the thought of staking her best friend is making her uncomfortable. Jax seemed to notice, and as he was sitting next to her on the couch, he pulled her closer, letting her head rest on his shoulder.

"Yes, but if we bury him and he doesn't emerge, he would be trapped under the earth," Jax explained.

"Starving for eternity," Raphael continued, which earned him a glare from the werewolf. He'd purposely left that out, knowing that it would serve no good for Clary.

"And uh.. if I stake him?" Clary asked again, this time her voice wasn't as shaky. The way Jax was gently combing her hair back was the only thing keeping her from breaking down again.

"He'll die a human death. It's painless. Well, as far as I know anyways," Jax said, glancing towards Raphael in question.

The vampire nodded in confirmation, then tilted his head sideways ever so slightly, seemingly deep in thought. Raphael had quite the talent for recognizing the qualities of a man; what they fear and what makes them tick. After all, he had an entire millenia to practise. But despite how many decades he's lived through, and how many people he's encountered, he has never met someone like Jax Harper.

The blue eyed werewolf was not as much of an open book as he may appear. Just when he thought he had Jax Harper all figured out, the werewolf alwahs managed to surprise him. The only thing that Raphael knows for sure is that Jax was keeping secrets; what they are, he hasn't found out yet. It would be unethical for him to ask. Of course, a blood sucking vampire still has his manners.

Despite wanting to pry, Raphael praised him instead. "Your knowledge of the Downworlders is quite remarkable," he said. "Did you have a teacher?"

"Yeah, the internet really is the greatest teacher of all time."

It might be, but you can't study the Downworlders in the internet as easily as the things human study in school, Raphael thought to himself. The werewolf is doing it again, being vague as always.

But before Raphael could ask, Jax spoke again. "Ever since I became a Downworlder, I just thought it'd be useful to learn as much as I can about them, you know?" he shrugged nonchalantly. "Biology was the only thing I'm ever good at anyways. Studying the way the body works and what makes them-"

He didn't get to finish as his phone began to rang. Upom seeing the caller ID, Jax quickly got up from the couch and walked away from the group-not noticing Raphael's eyes who followed his every move. Picking up the phone, he lowered down his voice to answer, "Hey Luke, uh.. now's not really a good time."