P R O L O G U E

Can we keep up the good timesJust don't let me downYou get nervous every time that I come aroundTake the good with the badOr get out of my town

Just don't let me down
You get nervous every time that I come around
Take the good with the bad
Or get out of my town

~ The Orwells

Olivia Johnson made her way down the packed halls amongst the screams, laughters and chatter of the other students of Derry High, holding her books to her flat and unimpressive chest as she scrambled with purpose to get to her locker before lunch. She avoided eye contact with any of her peers, and pushed through the crowds.

She was able to truly breathe when she got to the end of the hall and opened her locker, welcoming the empty space where she would shove her things and quickly slam the locker door. It was the last day of the semester before summer vacation and she was intent on ending it on a high note before she spent the summer working at the run down grocery store earning a bit of money. She was wearing what she considered her best outfit which consisted of light wash denim shorts, a Guns n Roses tank vest and her scruffy converse that she'd had for two years, the soles of them already beginning to flap and tear. She was carrying her usual hand-me-down backpack that was grey, ripped and had a very faded Adidas logo on it; it was her older brother Terrys that he used to wear when he was her age at Derry High school before he left for college in Indiana. Terry was five years her senior and had always been the more popular one. In a way, she felt safer before he left because of his social status, more often than not, she was protected in his shadow . People knew who Olive's brother was. Now, she was the prime target for any bully or future felon in Derry. Even the losers club were considered higher than her in the social hierarchy of the school.

Her thoughts broke when she made eye contact with each and every member of the gang of miscreants which had been her biggest tormentors since second grade when she moved to Derry with Terry and her mom, she instantly felt her heart drop to her stomach at what she knew was to come. Henry Bowers' eyes drifted over to her as he was talking to Victor Criss, the other two of Derry high's biggest bullies, the stockiest of the three Belch Huggins and probably the one that instilled the most fear in olive, Patrick Hockstetter, following his gaze. A sneer tugged at Henry's thin lips as he stopped talking to the others and gestures to her.

She immediately began to feel her self worth shrink when Victor and Patrick pulled their shirts over their heads and started lurching over to her, hands atop their hooded figures, imitating fins. The halls grew more silent, students of all different years and groups focusing their attention on the drama which would be unfolding in keen and slightly twisted interest. The two boys reached her and began circling her like predators and she felt her lip trembling in shame when she heard them dramatically chanting the Jaws theme, crowds began to laugh and holler in their direction.

Olivia Johnson was what most would consider an undesirable dweeb. She was plain, small and underdeveloped for a fourteen year old, most girls in her grade already sporting womanly curves. Worst of all were the heavy set of braces that filled her mouth and jutted her jaw out, turning every 'S' in a sentence into a horrific sounding lateral lisp. Her blonde hair was always tied up in some unflattering updo that her mother would force upon her, emphasising her braces all the more. Acne dotted around her jaw and nose.

Henry Bowers broke her attention from the other two when he shoved her into her locker, Belch burping loudly and grotesquely into the side of her face, her nostrils suddenly filling with the repulsive regurgitated odour of hotdog and Coca Cola.

"Eaten any swimmers today, jaws?" He drawled, his beady eyes scowling down at her as she shrunk within his arms that were either side of her head, trapping her against the locker, the metal grid rubbing uncomfortably again her bare, skinny arms.

"Huh-Henry, please..." her lisp making saliva froth at the sides of her jutted lips, the 'please' sounding more like a 'pleache.'The bullies laughed and clapped their hands, Henry cut her off as he tugged her pony tail backwards and she let out a yelp, tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

"Don't think that just 'cause schools out you're gonna be safe. We'll be lookin' for ya, Johnson." He spat before giving her one last shove, the rest of his crew snickering and shouting over their shoulders an array of tooth related insults. By now, tears tinted black ran down Olive's puffy cheeks, the mascara she'd applied in the morning in a final attempt to look half nice smudging around her eyes. She caught one glimpse of Patrick, the tallest and lankiest of the four who offered her a small smirk to her, mouthing a 'You're dead meat.'

As she looked around at her peers, she felt the shame creep up on her, eyes looking at her with a cruel sense of entertainment, a few of her fellow dorks looking at her with sympathy.

She turned and jogged out of the Hall, wiping her face and sobbing, trying to hide the patch in the crotch of her shorts that she'd wet out of embarrassment.

She swore at that moment that things would be different when summer ended.

Hi everyone! This is my first fanfic on Wattpad so please tell me what you think, I'd love to hear from you all. This is only a prologue chapter, I'll be adding the first chapter shortly so hopefully it'll be more in depth about the characters and you'll get to know Olivia (Olive) a bit more.

Don't forget to let me know your thoughts!