[ 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ]

CHAPTER TWO ; WELCOME TO THE CAPITOL
"the sweetest coating won't matter if there's poison inside."
— charles mc geown

"— charles mc geown

      THE CAPITOL. it was a beautiful place full of terrible people. the capitol citizens bathed in riches, relishing in the idea of innocent children killing one another. they took pills to stay thin while children starved in the districts. they enjoyed watching purity become tainted with human blood. the capitol was beautiful but terrible at the same time.

as juniper stepped off of the train, following her two mentors and porsha, she was met with the cheers and elated cries of capitol citizens from above. it made her sick. it made her blood boil. they were celebrating death.

      juniper looked around as they entered a towering building, floors and floors stacked on top of each other to create the tribute center. she felt a wave of nausea as they stood on the ground floor, getting her first glance at other tributes and mentors. her skin visibly paled from the sight of the bloodthirsty career pack mingling with each other.

     standing alone, juniper wrapped her arms around her body. she leaned against the wall, facing the expensive wall paper as her forehead touched the cool surface. she wished and wished for the rest of the tributes to arrive so they could begin the preparations for the opening ceremony that took place the next day — the chariot rides.

      the sound of approaching footsteps, multiple sets of them, caused juniper to squeeze her eyes shut. inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth. inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth. she jolted at the feeling of a hand on her shoulder.

     "juniper, hon." it was cecelia, the familiar voice causing juniper to turn her head and face her female mentor. however, she wasn't alone. a man only months older than juniper with golden hair and skin, and gorgeous green eyes, stood beside cecelia. juniper stared up at him, eyes wide in fear and adoration — an odd cocktail of wonder.

      "this is finnick. finnick odair. he was hoping to discuss potential allies. his tributes are from district four." cecelia explained, glancing from finnick to the shaken up tribute. juniper's breath left her lungs as reality hit her in the face. allies. the games. death.

     inhaling sharply, tears formed in her eyes. juniper held his gaze, shaking her head quickly as her hands shook. "no. nope. i can't do that right now. i can't, i'm sorry. i can't." she rushed out, her eyes tearing away from his own as she frantically looked around the room. her left hand fingers began to scratch her right wrist, reddening the skin. finnick noticed, and he frowned. "i understand, juniper. hopefully we can discuss this . . . another time."

     the arrival of the last pair of tributes saved juniper from any more embarrassment. her curious eyes glanced to the door, facial expression softening momentarily at the sight of two young district twelve tributes. they were too young.