[ 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ]

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ; FISH HOOK
"two souls are sometimes created together and in love before they're even born."
— f. scott fitzgerald

         JUNIPER SAT ON THE BACK PORCH

JUNIPER SAT ON THE BACK PORCH. she rested beside her grandmother, a small smile on her lips as she listened to grams and woof reminisce about a childhood experience. she stared out at the beach, cecelia's two children — otis and mira — throwing wet sand at each other while making a sand castle. the brunette slowly stood, hurrying down the porch steps. she took her shoes off, throwing them to the side before running atop the sand and over to the kids.

juniper fell to her knees beside the two children, the fabric of her blue sun dress tucked beneath her legs to keep from flying into the air because of the small breeze. the trio began working on another sand castle, laughs and giggles fluttering out of their lips and into the air. juniper tucked her hair behind her ears before collecting damp sand into her hands, watching as mira ran to the water. the small child collected rocks for decoration before hurrying back, avoiding the tide.

finnick stood on his back porch, leaning against the railing. he held his glass of champagne in his grasp, rolling the sleeves of his blue button up to his elbows. he watched juniper, a look of adoration plastered on his features. he heard cecelia from inside, listening as she announced that they were to light the candles and open presents in only a few short moments. finnick set his glass down, taking his own shoes off. he walked onto the sand and towards the group of three, his smile widening at the sound of juniper's laughter.

finnick ran one of his hands through his blonde curls, the two children giggling at the sight of the victor. juniper turned her head over her shoulder, staring up at finnick with a wide smile. the colors from the setting sun highlighted her features in a beautiful way, finnick's breath catching in his throat from her angelic appearance. juniper slowly stood, coaxing the children into joining her inside for cake. "we'll have dessert and then come back out here and finish up, okay?" she told otis and mira. cecelia's children complied and they sprinted towards the house, smiles on their young faces. otis was only six and mira was four.

juniper slowly stood, brushing the sand off of her dress and back onto the beach. she glanced up at finnick with a grin, the boy staring at her in astonishment. "you are so unbelievably beautiful." he whispered, his arm reaching out to wrap around juniper's waist. the brunette blushed, hiding her face in his chest.

"stop it, odair. let's go back inside before we miss the most important part of the celebration." she whispered before backing away, her hand grabbing his own to pull him towards their home. "listen to me first, juniper. you are the most beautiful thing i have ever laid my eyes on." he meant every word, green irises locked with hazel. juniper licked her lips, gripping his hand tightly. she stepped forwards, kissing him softly but briskly. "c'mon, romeo."

juniper stood in front of finnick, leaning back and against his chest. his arms were wrapped loosely around her figure, juniper grasping his hand in one of hers and the present for mags in her other palm. the entire crowd of people sang for the elderly woman, a gorgeous smile on mags's face. ". . . happy birthday to you!" they finished singing, watching as mags blew out her candles. everyone clapped and cheered, finnick pressing a kiss to the top of juniper's head.