[ 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ]

CHAPTER SEVEN ; THE SIXTY EIGHTH HUNGER GAMES
"this world is so hard on you because angels were not mean to live on earth."
— bridgett devoue

      JUNIPER COULD NOT SLEEP, AND NEITHER COULD FINNICK

      JUNIPER COULD NOT SLEEP, AND NEITHER COULD FINNICK. that was the reason the district four victor aimlessly wandered onto the district eight floor at eleven o'clock that night.

finnick stood outside juniper's door, his knuckles softly rapping against the wood. only moments later, the door was slowly opened to reveal the only girl he wanted to see. almost immediately, she stepped to the side to let him in. finnick walked straight to the bed, flinging himself onto the mattress with an exasperated sigh. juniper followed, moving to lay beside him. the tribute stared at the ceiling, breathing shakily.

finnick turned to face her on his side, propping his head up with his hand. his eyes scanned across her features, taking in her distraught expression. "you need to sleep." he spoke, voice raspy with tiredness. juniper quickly glanced at him before looking back to the ceiling. "i don't believe that's possible." she whispered, attempting to clear the scared tone from her words. he sighed in response, shutting his eyes momentarily.

"just try, okay? i wanted to come check on you, to see you before the — the games." he explained, sitting up. "i'll leave you be, juniper. please get some rest. remember, you've gotta come back. you need to win." he pressed goodbye kisses to both of her cheekbones before standing. "good luck."

as he advanced towards the door with heavy footsteps and a heavy heart, juniper spoke up. "please stay." she stared at him with pleading eyes, beginning to scratch the skin of her wrist. finnick's expression immediately softened and he was quick to join her back in the bed. his hands grasped her own, lacing their fingers together. he rested beside her, pulling the soft duvet over their bodies.

juniper curled into his side — needing some form of comfort. finnick responded by wrapping his arms tightly around her shaking form, whispering sweet nothings and words of encouragement in her ear. soon, they were both silent. juniper listened to the pounding of finnick's heart, her eyes shut tightly.

"i've grown attached to you, juniper rose." finnick whispered, a small laugh following. "in just a few short days, you've captured every one of my senses — i have one hundred thoughts and you are ninety nine of them." he confessed, stroking her hair. juniper relaxed against his chest. "and what's the final thought?" she inquired, her eyes peeking up at him. finnick sighed, staring back down at her. "it's about the arena — what it will look like and what it will hold." juniper didn't reply.

eventually, juniper drifted into a much needed sleep — the first peaceful sleep she had experienced since the reaping. finnick admired her relaxed features, fingertips brushing across her face and neck — leaving delicate touches. "win for me."

when juniper awoke the following morning, finnick was absent from her room. instead, porsha was ripping the blanket from her body and hermes was entering the room. juniper rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes, glancing up at the two capitol citizens in her room. it was game day.