[ 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ]

CHAPTER THIRTEEN ; THE VICTOR OF THE SIXTY EIGHTH HUNGER GAMES
"kidnap me from my reality and crushed pieces in my soul, color me outside the lines until my shattered heart is whole."
— perry poetry

     THE FINAL CANNONS ECHOED THROUGH THE AIR

THE FINAL CANNONS ECHOED THROUGH THE AIR. juniper stood above two dead bodies, her hands and face covered in blood. two daggers were embedded in the male's skull and heart, and the female suffered from a broken neck and spine — their injuries leading to their deaths. juniper's breaths were ragged and choppy, her eyes widening at the sight before her.

claudius templesmith's voice played through every speaker in panem. "i am pleased to present the victor of the sixty eighth hunger games, juniper rose! i give you the female tribute of district eight!"

juniper began to hyperventilate, clutching and clawing at her chest. "what have i done?" she breathed out, facial expression resembling one of pure terror. suddenly, her eyes rolled back and she fainted — body collapsing onto the bloodied soil beneath her feet.

juniper's orbs moved from beneath her eyelids as she slowly began to wake up. soon, they fluttered open and she was met with a dimly lit room, an amber glow produced by strips of lights lining the floor and ceiling. her irises wandered throughout the sterile room, taking in the appearance of intricate and complicated medical equipment. her eyelids snapped shut as the thoughts of her games flooded her brain.

she inhaled the scent of rubbing alcohol and cleaning products, taking deep breaths to calm herself down. she focused on the sounds around her, listening to the steady beep of the heart monitor and the drip of the iv. slowly, the girl sat up.

she was surprised to find that her body dully ached, the once widespread and intense pain now gone. her hand reached up to touch her face, fingers brushing small scabs — her wounds nearly healed. juniper moved her hand to her hair, expecting a matted mess. to her surprise, her fingers easily slid through the soft and glossy strands of brown.

she placed her bare feet on the cold ground, hands shaking as she pushed herself up and into a standing position. feeling lightheaded, she leaned against the wall for a moment. her trembling hands reached down to rip the needle from her hand, a loud beeping filling the otherwise quiet room. she ignored the persistent and annoying sound, slowly walking over to one of the two doors. she pulled it open, revealing a large bathroom.

juniper stepped inside, facing the mirror. she barely recognized herself. her appearance had barely changed, but her eyes — there was no light left.

she was dressed in a simple blue hospital gown, the back tied tightly. dark bruises decorated her cheekbones and neck, the bluish black color informing her that they were almost healed. the bags under her eyes were noticeable, and her skin was pale. the cuts that once littered her skin were nearly absent, and her rosy lips were no longer cracked. however, her eyes were dull — the mix of hazel and green turned nearly gray.