[ 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 ]

CHAPTER FIVE ; PROMISE ME
"be tough minded but tenderhearted."
— h. jackson brown jr

IT WAS INDIVIDUAL ASSESSMENT DAY

IT WAS INDIVIDUAL ASSESSMENT DAY. juniper was nervous — she didn't know what she would perform for the game makers. she changed into a similar outfit as the day before, deciding on pulling her own hair back and into a bun. after tying her shoes, she exited her temporary bedroom and entered the dining area once again.

     juniper stared blankly at the wooden table after she sat down in her seat, her fingers beginning to scratch at her wrist. she felt as if she was going to throw up. soon enough, it was time for the individual assessments.

     after entering the waiting area, juniper sat beside maddox. she rested her elbows on her knees, placing her chin in her hands. she glanced over at alice, giving the young girl a small smile. alice smiled back. as time passed on, tributes entered the secluded room to present themselves for the game makers.

     "district eight. maddox klimt. report for individual assessment." the intercom stated, juniper looked over at maddox as he stood up and slowly walked through the opening gates. they shut behind him. looking down at her shoes, juniper's nerves skyrocketed. she was next, and she still had no idea on what to do.

     the intercom broke her train of thought. "district eight. juniper rose. report for individual assessment." she stood on shaky legs, clenching her jaw as she passed through the gates and into the assessment room.

     an assortment of weapons were laid across one of the tables, dummies positioned a great distance away. on a different table was rope and a few other survival tools. there was a plant recognizing machine beside the table, juniper unsure of what to do. hesitantly, she glanced up at the game makers. "you may begin, juniper." she let out a shaky breath, eyes meeting seneca crane's.

     slowly, juniper walked away from the blades. she approached the assortment of ropes, grabbing a few different colors and sizes. she slowly and absentmindedly weaved a net, doing an average job. she needed to throw off her opponents. getting a low score would do just that. looking up at the game makers, she realized that no one was watching her. soon, she was finished. after curtsying, she left the room and went for the elevator.

     juniper traveled to her floor, going straight into her bedroom. she changed out of the training outfit and entered the bathroom. she was met with the grand shower and tub, stepping inside the glass walls. she stared at the control panel, pressing the temperature button. scalding hot water sprayed onto her body, her muscles tensing before relaxing.

     finnick found himself pressing the elevator button for district eight, trying to put his conversation with cashmere, the female victor from district one, out of his mind. "this isn't right, finnick. she isn't your tribute."

     finnick cleared the interaction from his mind once the elevator doors opened, his feet carrying him inside. finnick crossed his arms over his chest, walking over to cecelia who was positioned on the couch. sitting beside her, he let out a small sigh. finnick put his face in his hands, rubbing his eyes with his fingers. "where is she?" he quietly asked cecelia. the older woman motioned to juniper's bedroom with her head, finnick immediately standing up.