The Dorms

It's been over a month! I am so sorry! A lot of stuff has happened between the last chapter and now. I kid you not, about a week before I got out for school, one of my front tooth got infected because it had been so long since I'd had a root canal on it and it wanted to kill me.

But that's enough about me and my pathetic life! You're here for a story! And a story you shall have.

I.O.N.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jane was nervous when she left the Great Hall with the rest of her new housemates. There were really only a few that paid attention to her among the first years. In fact, after her sorting, an exact total of four bothered to talk to her. As nervous as she was, Jane thought it would be a good idea to stay close to her four new friends. It was strange to see four children that were so different work stand together like they'd known each other for years.

But then Jane laughed to herself. It wasn't the first time she'd seen four characters that were so different blend so well. Blaming all her thoughts on the feast she'd just eaten, Jane headed up to the girl's dormitory and got ready for bed and wished that her owl, Pumpkin, was there with her, but contented herself with the plan of waking up early and going in search of where the owls were roosted.

Since she had gone to bed almost immediately, Jane didn't notice that she was sharing a dorm with Hermione.

---

Evie was having a blast. At first, she had been disappointed that she hadn't been sorted into a house that had one of her friends, but the Slytherins were an interesting bunch. Especially the ones that, at the feast, had mocked her for being a Muggle-born wizard or 'Mudbloods' as they called them. The insults didn't really bother her, but ever the villain's child, she had already planned on how best to get revenge. After all, it wouldn't do to let her housemates think her weak.

She had become fast friends with two of the girls she was rooming with, a girl named Millicent, and the other named Pansy. Since Millicent was a half-blood and Pansy was a pureblood, the three of them made an odd trio in the Slytherin house, but it appeared that none of the prejudiced Slytherins would speak out against them because Millicent was also in a budding friendship with Draco Malfoy, whose father was apparently very important.

In the room that was to house them for the next seven years, Evie introduced her new friends to Charm, her black cat. When they were at the pet shop, Mal and Jay had thought it was hilariously ironic for the daughter of a Poisoner to own a black cat. But, Evie had fallen in love with the fluffy black cat and didn't really care what the others thought. Besides Charm was extremely intelligent, letting her out of the dormitory, Evie told her to have fun but not to get into too much trouble... tonight.

---

Jay had been stuck outside the Ravenclaw tower for what felt like half the night because the older students were refusing to open the door and to get in they had to answer a riddle, and since they were all tired, no one had managed to correctly answer a riddle. All of the first years had decided to answer one at a time.

Finally, it was Jay's turn. He knocked on the bronze eagle knocker and waited for his riddle. After a while, it spoke, "What has four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs at night?"

In Jay's half asleep state there was no way for him to filter himself so he said the first thing that came to mind, "Well it's definitely not you." The eagle was so shocked by the insult that it opened the door and let them in. Jay didn't even bother to look surprised, he just walked in and headed for the nearest chair.

Which is where he fell asleep. Everyone else was also so tired that they just left him, and didn't even notice the rat that scurried past, climbed up to where Jay was sleeping and curled up with the sleeping boy.

---

Mal stayed with her group just long enough to find her way to the kitchen, the dorms, and how to get in. Then she snuck away from everyone else and went exploring.  The very first place she went to find was the forbidden third-floor corridor on the right-hand side. Mal was so curious to find out what had made it so forbidden.

Besides that one specific area, Mal was also determined to find all the other important areas. Like the library, the bathrooms, how to get to a classroom. A few times Mal could see a ghost roaming the halls like they were looking for something to do that would most likely spell embarrassment for whoever fell into whatever trap the laid. Mal decided that she would befriend that ghost.

Unfortunately, Mal didn't find the forbidden corridor but had found everything else that she was looking for. Finally, she headed back to her dorm. Mal's snake, Imp, was waiting for her when she walked into the common room.

Letting the little grass snake curl around her wrist, Mal headed to her room to try and get some sleep. After all, she had a very early morning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will just say, the answer Jay gave was not from me. I got it from Pinterest. Whoever wrote that post is the genius that made it up and I just hope whoever you are that you aren't mad at me for using a part of it.

Also, Jay's rat is named Vanish.

QotD:

What do you think of the pets?

How do you think all of their individual friendships away from each other will develop?

Will Mal become friends with Peeves?