The Year So Far

It's actually finished! After almost two years, I finally update. Sorry about the wait...

I.O.N.

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------

After the first week of school, in which Jay and Evie managed to get lost a total of seven times and Mal and Jane a collective twice (both would later claim it was the 'fairy blood' but no one believed them), the four quickly settled into their new school lives.

Or at least Jane had settled into her new school life. She and Hermione weren't best friends, but they did get together to study and do their homework, occasionally Neville would join them when he needed help with Defense Against the Dark Arts or, more often, potions. It was during one of these study sessions that Jane found out that Neville, Hermione, Ron (the ginger boy from the feast), and Harry had discovered the forbidden third floor and what was in it. Jane made a mental note to look up all she could on three-headed dogs in the near future and to pass the message on to the others as well.

Jay, on the other hand, was busy setting up a black market for muggle items that were usually contraband (pens were a hot commodity), answers to difficult homework problems from the older students, or even the juicier bits of gossip that muggle-borns might not have been privy to otherwise. Good to know that Harry was the kid they were trying to help anyways. And to the continued horror of the staff, Jay had gotten Padma Patil, Michael Corner, and Terry Boot in on his schemes. Apparently, one Ravenclaw with the pranking abilities of Fred and George Weasley was bad enough. But one that can also convince three other extremely creative and ingenious students to join him ... might as well be the next destroyer of worlds as far as Filch was concerned. (McGonagall silently feared the day the when Weasley twins approached Jay Djinn and just hoped that the ancient castle would survive)

Evie had become famous even as a first-year for her fantastic advice on make-up and relationships for the older students, even if some of them were hesitant to talk to the small eleven-year-old Slytherin. Many of them had heard the tale of how she had managed to slip a very rude fifth-year an extremely potent dose of Forgetfulness Potion and had him wandering around the school like a lost little first-year. Naturally, he had been found rather quickly and taken to the hospital wing until it wore off three days later. Of course, Evie hadn't gone around bragging that she'd been responsible, in fact, no one was even able to pin it on her (or find out how she did it). Except for the way the fifth-year would get a tic in his left eye any time the bright first-year was in the same room as him.

So yeah, the rest of the school was walking on eggshells for a while until she helped a seventh-year Hufflepuff confess to the boy that had been in her sights since the girl was a thrid-year. Then it was as if she'd posted a sign that read 'Personal Cupid for all the lovesick and weary.' None of the students talked about the fine print on Evie's imaginary sign where she would swear vengeance on any who intentionally harmed those who came to her for counsel. Her friendships continued to grow and branch out until they not only included Millicent and Pansy, but also Draco Malfoy, Blaise Zabini, Daphne Greengrass, and Tracy Davis. It was from them that she learned about Voldemort (who she silently dubbed 'Old Moldy') and why Harry was such a big deal in the first place.

And, well, the less said about what Mal had gotten up to in the first three months, the better. Many times in those first weeks, the teachers (most notably Quirrell and Snape) could be found thanking their lucky stars that Mal seemed to listen to Cedric Diggory... most of the time. It was in the times she refused to be reasoned with that she learned the most. Professor Quirrell, for example, was definitely hiding something under that turban of his and Mal strongly doubted it was garlic. Not only was he hiding something, but he was also plotting something too (if the almost overpowering stench of dark magic was any indicator), and Mal would bet her spray paint that it had everything to do with the forbidden third-floor corridor and Harry.

Needless to say, all four of them had settled into a routine. Whether that was a routine the teachers cared for was irrelevant. Mal, Evie, and Jay had started taking breakfast with Jane at the Gryffindor table and could be seen dragging friends over from time to time then head off to their morning classes, lunch would be at the Hufflepuff table, as Cedric tried his best to keep an eye Mal. The afternoon was really the only time during the day you could see any of the four of them away from each other or Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville, as that was when Evie would help the lovesick, Jay ran most of the black market, Jane was in the library or practicing magic outside, and Mal would seemingly disappear, although many students would swear they saw her heading to the Forbidden Forest. Dinner was more often than not spent at their respective tables.

The week leading up to Halloween, Mal sent Imp out to tail the stuttering professor and find out what he was hiding. When the Halloween feast got interrupted by a very convenient troll in the dungeon, and that Professor Quirrell was the one to find it, every mental warning Mal had went off, and she slipped under the table just as Dumbledor was sending everyone back to their dorms. She could hear Cedric looking for her but in all the commotion there was no chance for him to look for her.

Once the hall had cleared out, Mal stood up and saw Jay and Evie were there too. "Did either of you see Jane?" Mal asked.

"No, Harry, Ron, and Neville must have seen her."

"What about Hermione?"

"After charms today, Ron said some really rude things about her and she heard. Last I heard, she had locked herself in one of the girls' bathrooms."

Before Mal could think of a plan, Jay spoke up, "You and Mal should go make sure that Hermione gets to her dorm safely. I'll go see if I can't wrestle a troll!"

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Mal and Evie laughed.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about not going into a lot of detail! I'm not really experienced with crossovers so please bear with me!

And yes, from now on the four of them will exclusively call Voldemort 'Old Moldy.'

I hope you enjoyed!

QotD:

Do you think I should try and bring Neville into more of the story?

How do you think they'll react to the Philosopher's stone?