41 | Flash

I slot my key into the lock, holding my breath as the door falls open. My heart drops to my stomach when I take in the empty dorm room, the air hanging heavy and still. Pulling my suitcase with one hand and clutching my phone in the other, I step into the room, heaving a sigh as I collapse onto my bed. For what is probably the hundredth time since Astrid called me yesterday, I dial Vera's number. The same monotonous voice announces that her phone is switched off. I close my eyes, cursing under my breath before forcing myself to stand up and shake off the comforting appeal of my mattress.

Ten minutes later, I'm standing in front of Liam's room, tapping my knuckles against the door firmly. The door unlocks, revealing Liam looking disheveled yet completely charming in a wrinkled t-shirt and old jeans.

"Hey, Carmen," he says, pulling back and gesturing for me to enter the room. He peers at me closely and quirks an eyebrow.

"She wasn't there," I say in answer, shutting the door behind me before following him further inside.

As I study Liam's face in the natural afternoon light that penetrates the room, there's a moment when I feel nothing but longing for him. The worry that has been clouding my brain and the anger and disappointment of having to leave home so soon are all gone.

Caught in the moment, I surge forward and throw my arms around Liam. He returns my embrace immediately, pressing his face into the crook of my neck.

Standing on tiptoe, I whisper, "I missed you—"

"So much," he finishes, his voice husky against my skin.

When I pull back and lower my feet to the ground, the spell is broken as though I've stepped back into harsh reality.

"How are we going to find her?" I sigh, running my palm down my face, trying to rub some of my desperation away. "What if we can't?"

"She couldn't have gone too far, Carmen," Liam points out. His voice sounds calm as ever, but the creases in his forehead give away his concern. "We'll look everywhere again."

And that's how Liam and I spend the next few hours. The sun begins its descent into the horizon as we search the dorm buildings, the cafeteria, the library, even the swimming pool locker rooms. My worry multiplies tenfold as each hour passes, but Liam constantly reassures me with steady, piercing eyes, his hand warm against mine. Finally, at around six in the evening, we head into The Blacktop, feeling exhausted and defeated.

"Do you think she took a cab somewhere?" Liam wonders aloud while we wait for our order of soda, burgers, and fries.

I pause for a moment, letting my head fall back against the soft black upholstery of the booth. "She wouldn't have had the money for it. Liam, what if we have to . . . ?"

My blood runs so cold at the thought of calling the authorities and reporting Vera missing that I can't bring myself to finish my sentence.

Suddenly, a cheery, feminine voice interrupts my thoughts. "Here you go!"

The waitress is standing at my side as though she materialized out of thin air, a laden tray balanced expertly in her arms. She sets the tray on the table, shooting a smile at me and Liam when we thank her, before retreating to the cash counter.

My eyes flit to the soda, bubbles floating up to the surface of the dark liquid with a soft hiss as condensation drips off the sides of the glass. Utterly parched, Liam and I reach for our glasses at the same time, silently and gratefully gulping our drinks until the very last drop.

"I feel like we're forgetting something," Liam says thoughtfully, his serious hazel eyes darting across my face in search of an answer I don't have.

"But we checked everywhere . . ." I trail off, biting into a french fry and wincing as the steaming potato burns my tongue.