The Twin Problem

"What would you say?"

Clive and I were standing in the entrance of a giant, beautiful mansion. It was our fifth case together- it had been a few months since we had met again.

"I don't know, Clive", I replied, "it's not obvious this time. Figuring this case out is not our task, it is Groksy's! But I'd still love to help!"

He smiled. "I've always been amazed by your helpfulness, ~."

I blushed.

Lifting my head, I took a look at the ceiling: It was covered by mirrors and its center carried a gigantic chandelier whose candles were golden. If it were not for mysterious circumstances, I would have enjoyed our stay in such a beautiful place, but as during the past weeks, Clive's and my strength was asked again.

"Inspector Grosky!"

I turned around to discover Groksy entering the hall. I had already gotten used to him now since Clive and I got information from him during most of our cases.

"Is it true what I've heard about this case? You've figured out who the culprit is yesterday but haven't found them yet?", Clive asked.

"Indeed! You're well informed, I see. I do believe both of you could figure it out as well. In this case, the culprit is none other than one of the Barnham sister's, the very own heirs of this mansion. As you already heard, their parents have been murdered under mysterious circumstances, and they're hence under suspicion of being responsible. But there's only one culprit in this case."

"Wait, only one?", I asked.

"Yes", Grosky replied. "And it is none of the 'Barnham sisters' like that. Can you tell me why?"

"But didn't you just say that it was in fact one of them?"

"Could you please give us more information, Inspector?", Clive asked as he tilted his head.

"I can tell you that it concerns those sisters either way. Because those 'twins', lied about being twins. I can confirm that the two have both the exact same mother and father. Not only that- the date of their birth is the exact same. Can you explain that?"

It took a few seconds to think about it, but as I found the answer, Clive had already spoken it out loud.

"They're triplets!"

"Indeed", Grosky said. "Which explains why those 'twins' unfortunately couldn't find their birth certificates... to protect their sister."

"Brilliant!"

———————————————————————

"But where is she?", I asked Grosky.

"I'll lead you to the place where I suspect her."

Clive and I followed Grosky along around the mansion into small woods where we arrived at a small, abandoned looking hut.

Not the best of hideouts, I thought.

"Is anyone at home?", Grosky asked.
There was no answer, just silence. And with a loud clatter, he had knocked the door down. I gasped.
I looked at Clive and discovered he wasn't shocked at all to my surpise.

When we entered the hut, a strong smell of old wood filled my nose. There was no light source to be found in the small room, but the light from outside was sufficient to tell that there was a staircase leading somewhere downstairs.
As we walked down the stairs, it got lighter and lighter and we discovered a corridor alighted by torches on the wall.

I started to become nervous- we didn't know anything about the culprit's personality at all. What if she was aggressive and attacked us? She had killed two people after all.