Adagio

A/N: AHHH I am finally publishing this one. It's one of the key chapters I tried to build all the tension up for... I hope you'll like it xx

—————————————————————

A week later, the day had finally come.
The day of London's Thames fest. I had waited impatiently to celebrate it which might be ridiculous- "it's just a celebration, after all", would other people say. I, however, had an odd feeling- the feeling that this day might be significant for me, for my life even- was it my intuition? Or maybe just an illusion? I didn't know... but I was really looking forward to going to the celebration with Clive.

Apart from that, I was so excited to see Janice again- I hadn't seen her in almost a year and she was one of the kindest people I had ever met.
Janice also had the most beautiful singing voice I had ever heard, and she loved to sing more than anything else.

Preparing for the celebration, I clothed myself with the night blue ball dress Clive had gifted me and added a necklace I had inherited from my grandmother. I was not sure if this was festive enough- but Clive at least was very well suited.
He didn't wear his usual blue or brown suit, but a black one with a white shirt underneath and a golden tie around his neck. Clive also wore a black waistcoat above his shirt- he kept his jacket open so you could see the chain of a pocket watch hang out of one of his waist pockets.

"Ready?", he asked smilingly.

"Ready!"

————————————————————————

Entering the main door of Everwood mansion seemed like a scene out of a movie- everywhere were people dressed in beautiful evening gowns, some having a talk and some dancing on the marble floor of a beautiful, slightly dimmed ballroom. As I looked to the left side, I noticed a gathering of chairs, tables and therefore more people- and I immediately recognised the beautiful voice that was coming from the direction. I could make out a red-haired young woman wearing a purple evening gown, eagerly talking to people. It was my friend Janice!

Having just to throw a glance at Clive without saying a word, he nodded, immediately understanding my wish and following me.

"Janice!"

"...Oh I can't believe it! You came! I'm so happy to see you again!", Janice smiled as she hugged me greetingly.

"I'm so happy to see you too Janice! It's so wonderful to meet you here!"

"It's going to be such a beautiful evening!"
Suddenly noticing Clive, Janice apologised.
"Oh I'm so sorry! Please let me introduce myself, I am Janice Quatlane and will try my best to entertain everyone with some songs tonight!", she smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Quatlane", Clive replied.  "My name is Clive Dove!"

Janice suddenly gasped as I realised.

"Oh.... ~! Don't tell me this is the Clive you told me about? Your childhood crush?! I can't believe it!! This is perfect, I couldn't be happier for you!", Janice sung in joy.

I immediately hid my blushing face embarrassedly.

How could I have forgotten this... forgotten that I had told her about Clive when we were younger?

"Honey, you don't have to be ashamed!", Clive said as he led me back to the dance floor.
"You're so adorable!"

My blushing just got even worse.

"Clive... I... I'm still so sorry..."

"There is nothing to apologise for, my dear! And now... here...", he offered.