Meeting

A/N: Someone asked for an update, so here you are x

———————————————————————

It was already in the evening when I decided to finally visit Clive in prison and tell him everything.

When I entered the room, I ran into Hershel Layton who was just about to leave.

He nodded at me, encouraging to finally tell Clive what he deserved to know.

"Thank you, Professor. I owe you so much"

"It's my pleasure, ~. I hope we'll meet again soon."

As I entered the room, I felt pain fill my heart when I saw Clive sitting at a table with his hands cuffed. His expression was difficult to describe - he wasn't angry but nearly looked scared.

"~, I'm so sorry", he began.
"I should've listened to you. I'm sorry for everything I've done"

"It's not just your fault ", I retorted, making Clive light up in shock. "You see, I should've investigated more. Tried to find out more about what you were doing even though you tried to keep it from me - but it was already too late."

"It's nowhere your fault, ~. I was bitter and blinded by my grief from years ago, and completely lost focus of the beautiful things in my life."

I remained silent.

"But ~, there's something I couldn't stop thinking about. There was something you wanted to tell me that night, before it happened. What was it?"

I looked at the floor and hesitated... I did not have the courage for this. What if he would be angry? Or embarrassed?

"Clive...", I began, "you're the most intelligent person I know. I'm sure you already suspect what I wanted to tell you."

He gave me a questioning look.

"Or is it still a puzzle to you?", I smiled.

"Are... are you-"

One of the guards entered the door, gesturing me to leave. I hurriedly pushed Clive a letter in his hands.
"Everything you need to know is in there."
I sighed.
"Clive, I want you to know that nothing has changed how much I love you." I could hear myself tear up as I finished my sentence.

And before I could even react to it, Clive had smashed his lips onto mine, desperately trying to kiss me without being able to place his hands on my face. I heard a gasp from one of the guards as he did, but no one did anything about it.
I laid my hands on Clive's face, returning the kiss with the great longing that the past week had caused. It felt as if a lifetime had passed since our lips had last touched - and I could feel from his kiss that he missed me dearly. I didn't know how I would be able to live without him.

As the guards led me away, I turned to look at him one last time. His face mirrored my heart perfectly.

———————————————————————

My dearest Clive,
the recent events have hit me hard. I wish you would have told me about how deep your grief was, I had no idea at all. If I had done more I could have prevented all that turmoil, I would have stopped you from destructing London and ending in prison.
I wish you had told me about how deep your grief was. Perhaps I would have been able to help you, I at least would have tried, because that is what I am here for, and what I have always have been here for you and I will always try, until I take my last breath.
I have talked to Hershel Layton and his apprentice about what happened and about what will, and they agreed to try to help you as best as they can, especially after all I told them. I told them about you, about how you really are, the wonderful person that I love more than anything in this world, and about what is to come.
Spring and Cogg are saddened by your disappearance as well, they really still see you as the child they met when Constance adopted you, and they too miss you really much.
I wanted to tell you this in person, but I will either not have the time or the courage to do so, that is why I will now.
I am pregnant.
While I do not know how you are reacting to this, I have to admit that I was happier than ever when I was told. I have been excited ever since and tried to get my courage together for several weeks now, I just did not know how to tell you. I even told Spring and Cogg and got some advice, after all that just happened, I wish I had told you sooner, maybe the last days would not have happened the way they did if I had.
My face breaks into a smile when I imagine what he or she will look like, like a tiny version of you and me. I will never be able to express how happy I feel about that thought.
What I have to tell you though is that under the circumstances of my sickness as a child, the doctors are not sure if I will survive the birth of our child. If I won't, I want you to be strong, and I know you will be. I want you to protect it the way we always protected each other. Until you're free again, my mother has promised to take care of our child in the case that I won't see that day anymore.
I know that you are just the victim of what happened in your past, which was caused by Hawks. He was the one that created this grief and trauma and is truly responsible for it, and it is sad to witness that he does not feel any guilt at all, yet you do.
Clive, it still seems like a day ago that I defended you from those boys and turned around to look into your eyes for the very first time, the eyes of the person I would love forever. I cannot express how much I miss and love you, my beautiful gentleman. You will always have my heart,
~.