chapter 6

Meredith's POV:

"You're leaving?! How can you leave right now? So much is happening. We promised each other we wouldn't leave again."

"I'm sorry Mer, Mayo's offer was just too amazing to turn down."

"When do you leave?"

"Right now it's a week after the twins due date. I pushed it as far back as I could to make sure I would be here to see them."

"You're going to miss so much. You're going to miss your godson growing up. You're going to miss everything."

"Mer I'll come to Seattle every chance I get. I won't miss Bailey growing up. I promise."

"Alright. I.. I'll see you later." I said as I walked away to find Derek.

Derek's POV:

I was up in post-OP when I saw Meredith come up to me looking upset.

"Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure, yeah. What's up?"

"Like in private...." She said as she flipped her curly blonde hair over her shoulder and walked into a empty exam room.

"Alright what's up?" I asked.

"Cristina's leaving. Cristina's going to Mayo a week after my due date. She's going to miss everything Derek! We made her Bailey's godmother because she promised us she wouldn't leave. She's going to miss his whole life. This sounds so selfish but she's missing her own godsons life to go make a little more money in a little more advance hospital."

"But I thought she renewed her contract with us?"

"Obviously not. How is she going to run the board in freaking Florida? She's going to Mayo in Florida Derek. She couldn't pick a better one to go to? I want to be happy for her but I can't be happy for her. I'm losing my person."

Derek walked closer to me and hugged me.

"I know. You'll have Alex and everyone else. You won't lose Cristina. I promise."

"It just won't be the same."

"I know. It'll be okay. I know it."

After work we went home and were hanging out in the living room with Alex and Cristina who I asked to come over.

"So why am I here?" Alex asked.

"Should we tell him?" Derek asked.

"Tell me what?"

"I don't know should we?" I responded chuckling a little because we knew Alex didn't like not knowing stuff.

"Meredith tell me." He said getting inpatient.

"We found something out today. Well actually two something's." I said as I looked over at Cristina.

"Yeah.. Yeah... Yeah.. Continue." Alex said trying to hurry me up.

"Well do you want the good news first or the bad news?"

"There's bad news?"

"Yeah.. Very bad news."

"Alright well I want the good news first then."

"Okay so today we found out what the twins are."

"And..."

"Well tell me what you think they are first."

"Girl and boy now tell me."

"Well your half right. Two girls."

"Really? Wow. Congrats guys."

"Thank you. Now Cristina, what's the bad news?"

"I.. I'm leaving."

"No you're not." Alex said.

"Sorry. I have to."

"We promised her we wouldn't leave. I turned down freakin Hopkins again because we all decided we wouldn't leave." Alex said frustrated.

"I'm sorry."

"Whatever."

The rest of the night was super awkward and you could feel the tension. After everyone left, Derek and I cleaned up, during that time we noticed something.

Derek's POV:

"You know. I get why Alex got all upset before."

"Why's that?"

"Everyone's growing up and moving on with their lives. We got married and had kids. Cristina's leaving. Alex hasn't done anything like that."

"True. I kinda feel bad for him. He has that huge house to himself. He needs someone."

"He treats our kids like they're his own. Which is perfectly fine, but that also tells me that he wants to be at a point in his life where he wants to get married and have kids of his own."

"Yeah well you know how Alex is. I'll mention something to him about that and he'll deny it."

After that we went to up to bed and laid down like we usually do. I pulled her close, put my hand on her stomach, she put hers on top of mine and that's how we've been falling asleep every night.

Meredith's POV:

It's been almost a month since Cristina said she was leaving. It's been a month and I'm still not okay with it. I'm 22 weeks along now, which means I'm half way through, which means I have to take some time off of work until the baby's are born.

"Have a good day at work. I love you try not to kill anyone today." I said chuckling. It was our little thing. We've always said that to each other before work.

"I will. I love you too. Have a good day with the kids." He said as I sat down at the island.

He came over to me and bent down and put his hand on my belly.

"Bye Jordyn, Bye Abbie. Be good for your mommy today okay?" He said as rubbed his hand across my belly.

All I could do was smile. I loved when he talked to the girls. Except for when he called them Jordyn and Abbie, that's what he wants to name them but I'm not a huge fan of those names.

"Derek, stop calling them that."

"Fine. I love you. Have a good day." He said as he kissed the top of my head and went to the hospital.

Derek's POV:

As soon as I got to work I knew it would be a busy day. I got a page from Trauma.

"23 year old female with blunt trauma to the head." April said.

"Alright get her up to CT and page me when you have the results."

- 10 minutes later -

"Uh yup that's in the frontal lobe. It'll be tricky but prep her and get me an intern. A good one."

They prepped her for surgery. As soon as I cut in I could tell this could go great or horrible.

- 3 hours later -

"Time of death, 15:37." I said frustrated. I was so close. There was just too much damage.

I went home that night, and drank. The usual after the day didn't go so good.

A/N: I have no idea when I'll post again, and I know this ending sucked but I'm going somewhere with this I promise. xoxo