"I Kinda Like It."

It's been three weeks since Halloween. Three weeks since Monse saw the woman she thought was her mom. That night she came back and pulled out the shoe box that contained everything she had left of her mom. She had a picture of her mom in there. Monse never looked at it anymore, not wanting to be reminded of the pain she had when she left. But when she saw that woman on Halloween, she needed to know if she was remembering her correctly. So when she pulled out the picture and the woman in the picture looked exactly like the woman she saw just a few hours ago, she felt her heart skip a beat. She stared at the picture for hours, comparing every detail she could between the two. Willing herself the figure out if she really did just see her mom. When all of her thoughts became too much for her she had called Cesar, but he didn't answer. He had called back later that night and she had told him everything that went down. He had asked her what she wanted to do about it and she had said she wasn't sure. She wanted to know if she was in fact her mom, but she wasn't ready to confront her. So he suggested she cyber stalk her. Create a fake Facebook profile and see if she can find anything out that way.

So now that it's three weeks later she finds herself sitting at Ruby's dining table staring at her laptop screen. Ruby wanted them all to come over so he could coordinate the perfect quinceanera for Olivia. He's been barking orders to them for the past half hour. Luckily, his mom had ordered him to help with the twins so they had a bit of a break from him. Olivia was entertaining Jamal by listening to his rollerworld theories in the living room and Cesar went to the kitchen for something, which left Monse by herself. With a little bit of hesitation, she opened a new tab in her browser and went to Facebook. She typed in the woman's name and began to scroll through her feed. Her face moved closer to the screen. Different pictures of her with her kids would pop up. Seeing that made Monse feel a deep feeling of loss. If this really was her mother, she lost her chance at having photos like this with her.

"What are you doing?"

Cesar's voice made her jump back from the screen. She had forgotten that she was in the middle of Ruby's house and not her bedroom. "Nothing!" she replies quickly and tries to close the laptop. He stops her by grabbing her wrist as he sits down next to her and pulls the laptop over to him. "Hey! That's an invasion of privacy," Monse snarks, crossing her arms over her chest.

Cesar just chuckles, ignoring her. He starts to scroll through the profile himself. He really hasn't had much time to talk to Monse about her possible mom since their first conversation. Ruby and Oscar have kept him pretty much occupied between the quinceanera and his gang duties. He had planned to go over to her house tonight and ask her about it, but now was a better time than ever. A post about a novel she was writing caught his eye, "Oh look Mon, she's a writer!"

Monse could feel excitement bubbling within her. She leans forward closer to Cesar and the laptop. "Really? That has to be a sign right?" She's smiling as she turns her head to look at Cesar. It's then that she realizes that her face is very close to his. If he were to lean forward just a little bit, their lips could touch. Her mind gets fuzzy then as she imagines Cesar's lips on hers. She could tell that he was thinking about the same thing when his eyes went from hers to her lips. Cesar drops his hand from the laptop down to rest on her knee under the table. He was probably the only thing that could divert her attention away from her mommy issues.

"And then we'll all be rolling in money! But mostly me because it's my belief and determination that is gonna get us the money." Jamal's voice breaks Monse of her trance and she pulls away from Cesar and leans back into her seat. Cesar removes his hand from his knee and clears his throat. They completely forgot they weren't alone.

One she makes sure that Jamal and Olivia were still involved in conversation, Monse let's out a sigh of relief that they weren't caught. She doesn't need another fam split while she's dealing with both Cesar's gang stuff and her supposed mom situation.

Wanting to change subjects slightly and get rid of the awkwardness in the air Cesar asks Monse, "So, what kind of fake profile name did you use anyways? Please tell me that you didn't use a name that's obviously fake."

Monse's eyes get wide as she sees Cesar click on the tab that takes him to the fake profile. "No, don't!" she half exclaims, not wanting to draw attention to her and Cesar. But it was too late. She could already see the stupid smirk appearing on his face as he looked at the screen. His eyes meet hers as he speaks, "Your fake name is Laura Diaz."

Attempting to play it cool, Monse tries to look as non cholent about it as possible, "Yeah, so? It's just some name I made up."

His smirk turns into a full smile, "I like your choice for the last name."

Monse narrows her eyes at him, already knowing where he was going with this. "Don't flatter yourself Cesar. I picked Diaz because it could be common, not because it's your last name." The truth was though, that's exactly why she picked it. She never thought that he would actually see the profile and she would have to explain herself. All she wanted was her own little piece of fantasy. Now he's going to look at her like some lovesick school girl who's obsessed with him.

"Okay, whatever you say," Cesar responds, "but I kinda like it."

Monse's brows furrow in confusion, "Like what?"

"Diaz as your last name," he says calmly as he goes back to scrolling through the Facebook page. Monse feels butterflies in her stomach at his words. Did he really just say that? He can't be serious. "Ha ha, very funny Cesar."

He stops scrolling and looks at her, "Oh, I'm not kidding. Monse Diaz has a nice ring to it. I think I'm gonna make that a reality someday." Then he smiles and winks at her before turning his attention back to the screen like nothing.

Before she has a chance to reply or react Ruby comes back. Ruby's hair is all messed up and his shirt is untucked and wrinkled. "Before you ask what happened, don't." Once he gets himself back in order, Jamal and Olivia join them back at the table and Ruby starts barking orders to them again.

As she pretends to listen, Monse can't help the smile that appears on her face as she thinks about the boy sitting next to her and his words. God help her, she's in deep. 

-----

Author's Note: 

Thank you guys for reading! I appreciate and love you all! I'm loving the requests I'm getting. Keep 'em coming lol.