Chapter 9 - New friend

One afternoon, Dr

One afternoon, Dr. Burke approached Sara. "I'm going to see Lily after my last appointment and I wondered if you'd want to join me."

She looked up wide-eyed. "You make house calls!"

He shrugged. "It's not official, I like to check in on her and help support her parents. She likes you, but if you're busy..."

"No, I'd like that. Thanks for asking." Sara smiled.

He was on his phone before they left. She overheard him. "I shouldn't be too long... I know... Me too..."

He must have been talking to his wife, and she felt awkward about overhearing. Suddenly, he appeared and said, "All set."

She followed him in her car. She hadn't ventured off the main road and knew very little of the area. She paid attention to the turns he took, so she could find the way again. The houses grew closer together, and he stopped in front of a split-level home in a small neighborhood.

He waited for her on the street as she climbed out of her car which she parked directly behind him. He drove an expensive car, and hers was already second hand when she bought it a few months before. She drove an old truck carrying supplies around the outskirts in Western Africa and she hadn't had a car while in school in Boston.

"What no leather doctor's bag?" She teased.

With a smirk on his face, he pulled his stethoscope out of his pocket. She smiled, because she liked when he smiled. His brother did it all the time, but he was stingier with his.

Together they walked to the front door. The door opened before the doctor could knock or ring the bell. "Come on in, she's waiting for you."

Dr. Burke said, "Christine, do you remember Sara?"

"How could I not? You made an impression on Lily."

Sara smiled. "I'm not sure what I did, but I'm glad."

Christine was older than Sara and had a tired look, but was smiling. She was dressed comfortably. Sara liked she didn't feel the need to dress up for their visit.

They walked up a half a flight of stairs to the main floor. The room was modestly furnished, but they had adorned the walls with family pictures not art work. Sara sensed even before the nightmare of a sick child, family was their priority.

Lily was on the sofa, and when she saw her guests, she smiled. "Dr. B, you brought Sara with you!"

His voice was gentle. "I did. How are you feeling?"

He sat right on the edge of the sofa and patted Lily's shoulder. Sara watched as he spent a few minutes examining Lily.

"Sara will you read to me?" Lily asked.

Sara sat next to Lily and read from the book, Lily handed to her while the doctor and her mother went into the kitchen, presumably to talk. Lily was content to listen, but Sara felt for the little girl who was very sweet. Because of her treatment, she had lost her hair. Glancing around the room, Sara could tell it had been blond. As if she read her mind, she said, "Sara, do you like my hat?"