Chapter 21 - The babysitter

Paul said, "Nick who are you texting?"

"The babysitter."

"Forget it. Let's have fun."

It was difficult for Nick to keep his mind off Sara knowing that she was at his house. Paul had settled into his divorce and was interested in dating. He found two women to join them at their table. They were in their forties, but dressed like they were twenty. It was obvious they were looking for something as they flaunted themselves. The one next to Nick brushed her ample breasts against him repeatedly. He thought of Sara's. Oh hell!

He could easily go home with this woman, but even after years of celibacy it was the last thing he wanted. Shit, he thought to himself as he drained his beer. What he wanted was at his house.

He turned to Paul. "I need to go."

"So soon, it's still early."

"The babysitter can't stay late." He lied.

"Sure you won't change your mind." The woman with the breasts ran her hand up his leg.

"No." He stood up.

When he hit the night air, he realized it was a good thing he left when he did because he was driving. He had lost his tolerance, one more drink and he would need an Uber. When he let himself in, the house was quiet. He found Sara on the sofa asleep with the television on.

He leaned down and touched her hair. It was as soft and silky as he remembered. She opened her eyes and quickly sat up.

Stretching her neck, she said, "Sorry."

"Why?" He sat down next to her.

"For falling asleep."

"I do it all the time."

He wanted to tell her how beautiful she looked while she was sleeping. He looked right into her eyes and thought he might drown in them.

She said, "Are you drunk?"

"No. I had to drive."

She laughed nervously. Before he lost his nerve, he put his arm around her and drew her closer. Softly he said, "This is something I've wanted to do for a long time."

He put his lips on hers and put his other arm around her. He started soft and gentle. When she slanted her lips to meet his, he increased the intensity, and he heard her sigh. Parts of his body which had been dormant for a long time woke up.

She pulled away. "We can't. It's not right."

He spoke softly. "Because we work together?"

"Yes. No!"

"Why because of your boyfriend?" He thought of the doctor.

"I don't have a boyfriend. But you have a wife!"