Chapter Twenty-One

Fleeting Moments Till The End

Present:

I walked with Itachi and Kisame as they headed for Pain's office, me holding Itachi's hand and Kisame resting his hand on the hilt of Samehada. I smiled at Itachi as he kissed my forehead and headed in with Kisame, their robes lightly flowing behind them. I sighed happily and rested my hands on my pregnant tummy.
Three months had passed and so now, I was five months in. Only four more to go! I was excited and I couldn't wait to officially have a family with Itachi. I wonder how Itachi would be as a father...?
I rested against the wall and waited for the duo with boredom, my hands idly caressing my swollen stomach. I smiled at the thought of having a complete family.
"Hey, bitch! Why the fuck are you smiling like that? It's creeping me the hell out so stop, dumbass. Y/N? Y/N! Oi, fucker! Listen to me, will you?!" Hidan shouted in my ear as I finally began to regain my senses.
"Who the hell are you callin' fucker, huh fucker? Damn." I shouted back with an intimidating smirk.
"I'm not afraid of whooping your ass, bitch, pregnant or not!"
"Oh yeah? How about I whoop your ass at nine months? You won't be able to touch me, I'll even give you a head start!" I smiled, putting up my fist as Hidan put up his. We bumped fists and got in each other's faces with cocky grins.
"I don't believe that will be happening anytime soon, Hidan, Y/N." Itachi stated as we turned to look at him, Itachi opened his closed eyes and displayed his Mangekyo Sharingan menacingly.
I turned to his direction and blinked, displaying my Sharingan right back. "I may not possess the Mangekyo Sharingan, but I do posses the Sharingan itself. Don't forget, I can beat your eyes, love." I told him with a small smirk, my hands on my hips.
"Hn." Itachi hummed as he began going ahead, I looked towards Hidan.
"Buckle up, buttercup, cause you just flicked my bitch switch!" I stated to Hidan as we bumped fists again with smirks and headed our ways.
I caught up to Itachi and grabbed his hand, a slight skip in my walk. Itachi merely chuckled and intertwined our fingers, squeezing my hand lovingly.
Hours later, he had gotten ready to leave for a mission and I watched him go from the doorway of the hideout. "I love you!" I shouted to him as he turned back to look at me. I love you too, I'll be back, love, he mouthed as he disappeared into the distance.

• • •

Two months later, I sat idly in my room with my head rested on Itachi's lap. "I can't believe my Deidara is gone." I croaked sadly, my tearstained face showing itself to him after hours.
     "It was unexpected for Sasuke to battle him, I apologize in my little brother's stead. I'm truly sorry, my love." Itachi whispered to me as he cleared my eyes again, a sad smile on his features.
     "I guess it couldn't be helped." I croaked quietly before breaking into tears again, my sobs filling the sound of the room as he put his forehead onto my'n.

• • •

     I slapped one hand onto my mouth. "What?" I whispered as Itachi immediately hugged me tightly. "Hidan is what?" I whispered loudly as tears fell down my cheeks. Zetsu hesitated before continuing.
"Kakuzu is dead as well. My condolences, Y/N." Zetsu told me monotonously before seeping into the ground, leaving me to my grieving.
I sobbed loudly onto Itachi's shoulder as he set me down on the couch lightly, my arms still around his neck. He sat down next to me and soothed me with a solemn expression, I held onto his robe tightly as I let out more tears.
"Hidan!" I whispered brokenly into Itachi's shoulder as he continued to embrace me sadly. "Kakuzu." I whispered after sniffling. "Goodbye." I said before breaking into a violent crying fit again, every fiber of my body shaking.

• • •

A month later, I ran out of the base. I knew something was going to happen, and so I ran as best as my nine months of pregnancy would allow me. I broke into a sprint and was huffing a little later. I knew this was bad for my child, but I knew what Itachi was doing, and where he was going.
I remembered last night, how Itachi had cradled me and began whispering after believing I was asleep.
He began apologizing thoroughly, as if he was going to severely hurt me. He kept whispering how it was his duty, his role in Sasuke's life. I merely pretended to be asleep, thinking it was a dream.
He told me he was going to die.
It took all my willpower to keep faking being asleep, at this point I knew it wasn't a dream. The way Itachi cried quietly, the way he pushed my hair aside from my eyes, the broken whispers I couldn't even understand were all real, every bit of it.
Next, he told me where he was headed to. I knew the place he spoke of and decided that if he was gone the next morning, I'd be there to stop him, even if I had to fight him. Yes, I'd be severely weakened, but I didn't want Itachi to leave me after I've stuck by his side through everything.
If he was going to die, then I was too.
I made up my mind and with no regrets, kept running towards my doom. There, I got a glimpse of Kisame fighting a boy who looked quite a bit like Mangetsu, but I payed no attention.
I slipped through and saw Zetsu peeking at something, or someone, through a wall. Next thing I knew, smoke was everywhere, and the flames of Amaterasu were scattered throughout the place. "Itachi!" I screamed as I took a quick breather, I felt something snap and looked downwards, my water broke.
"Shit, shit, shit! Jashin, holy hell, what do I do?" I cried to nothing in particular. I screamed in pain as I felt the first contraction begin. My eyes widened.
My water had already broke, but my sprint kept it from going down. I didn't know how this happened or even worked, but if I could already feel the contractions I knew that I'd been running at least an hour.
I sensed Itachi's chakra and ran towards it despite the pain. I jumped up and spotted Itachi wobbling to Sasuke as his Susano began to disintegrate slowly. Itachi poked Sasuke's face, which was torn and in pain, with two fingers that slid down his face, smearing blood.
The world seemed to stop around me as I saw Itachi fall on his knees and hit his head against the wall, falling over all in an instant. My eyes widened and filled with tears as I ran over, my whole world crashing in an instant. My heart broke as I looked at him, and the world around me lost meaning.
     "Itachi." I whispered, cradling Itachi's body as I saw Sasuke slide down onto the floor slowly. "Itachi, wake up." I whimpered. "Itachi, our baby is coming, don't you want to be awake for that? Itachi?" I whispered brokenly as I grabbed him tighter. "Don't leave me, Itachi." I slapped him.
     "Do you remember when I slapped you that time? You let me go but this time I don't want you to." I slapped him again, tears falling down.
     "Or the time that you gave me my necklace and confessed? Do you remember that?" I slapped him again, my hand beginning to sting.
     "Remember when we got married? You told me you'd love me forever and always, you promised. Don't leave me, don't break our promise..." I slapped his chest this time as the smile on his deceased face cut through my chest and my heart.
     Sasuke stood and looked at me with a broken expression. "He's gone, Y/N, he's gone." He told me before leaving with his sword. I threw a lazy kunai at him.
     "You bastard!" I screamed. "I hate you! I hate you Sasuke Uchiha! I absolutely despise you with every fiber of my being, you bastard!" I screamed even louder as I fell onto Itachi's chest.
     "What a tragic end." I heard Zetsu say before I had another contraction. I screamed in pain this time and clutched my stomach tightly.
     This seemed to happen for eternity before I tried to stand. After failing multiple times, I grabbed Itachi and pulled him over me in a piggyback ride. I walked out of the broken and crumbled arena.
     I had to find Kakashi and Sakura.
     I needed to tell him that he was to take care of my child, who I was to name after Itachi.
     I walked, jumped, and kept walking after finally collapsing and howling in pain. I coughed blood as the blackness engulfed me whole.

With Kakashi:

     Kakashi and his team ran quickly through the trees and shrubbery. Kakashi paused, lifted his headband, and looked towards a direction. "I sense Y/N! This way! Sasuke might be with her." The silver-haired ninja claimed before running towards her direction, reaching her shortly.
     "Y-Y/N?!" He croaked as he saw the love of his life on the floor covered in blood along with Itachi's corpse, and a swollen stomach.
     The girl opened her eyes and gave Kakashi a sad smile, but looked around for someone hastily, and her eyes lightened as she saw the girl.
     "Sakura," She croaked. "I am in labor." She finished as she rested her hands on her stomach.
     Sakura looked at Kakashi and nodded, shooing everyone away after giving Itachi's corpse to them. She put on gloves and tied her hair up, giving the pregnant woman a worried glance. "I'll do my best, Y/N, your child will be perfectly fine."
     After hours of labor, the child was born and Sakura cut the umbilical cord with a kunai. Y/N handed Sakura a handkerchief, which she had stored in her robe pocket.
     Sakura gave Y/N a sad smile and cleaned the child up quickly. "It's a boy." Sakura told her. "What would you like to name him?"
"Itachi." Y/N coughed out instantly, her voice hoarse. Sakura nodded and covered the woman's body up carefully. "Kakashi, I need to talk to him."
At once, the man came out and held Y/N's hand tightly, looking at her sadly. "Yes, Y/N?" He asked quietly, as if sound alone could break the fragile woman.
"Take care of my child, take care of Itachi Uchiha." The woman who Kakashi loved dearly croaked before the light in her eyes disappeared. Kakashi let the tears spill as the woman he loved left the world of the living, and he cradled her limp body with his body shaking in remorse.
     Days later, she was buried next to her husband Itachi Uchiha, and flowers were placed next to their grave every single day.

The End