15. Normal

Sarah is a big bad wolf.

My annoying as hell bodyguards insist on walking Jenna and I to the door and as if that wasn't embarrassing enough they want to come in and look around.

I give Paul, Sean's half brother, an incredulous glare. No way in hell am I going to allow them to invade one of my best friend's personal space like this. I ordered them to go back to the car.
Sarah points out that no one in her family is a murderer, it may have been a joke but the way she folds her arms across her chest, raises her eyebrows and sets her face in a hard glare is enough to convey that she is not someone to mess with. So I think it is more out of grudging respect for how Sarah stood up to them than my order that they step aside and let us pass.

Sarah then shuts the door in their faces. I love her.

Inside, Jenna and I are greeted by the sight of everyone else in our group already studying. Books and stationary items are scattered all around the living room. It looks like they've made more of a mess than they've studied.
We hug everyone briefly and then settle down around the round table ourselves. Jenna sits beside Sarah while I sit between Gabe and Ace.

We finish our homework's much more quickly than we could have if we'd done them alone. Everyone helped each other out.
I think Ace almost completed half of Gabe's English assignment by the amount of questions he answered for Gabe.
There is an environment of liveliness in that room throughout.

"Hey guys, let's have a movie night after this. Huh?" Stan says excitedly looking up from the maths assignment spread before him.

"Oh yeah, it's been a long time since we've had one of those." Anna exclaims, throwing an arm around Stanley in the process. They just need an excuse to touch each other and the amusing thing is that it never seems clingy.

Everyone quickly agrees to this idea.
I start thinking about how normal this is, group studying at a friend's and watching a movie later. Lately my life has been so messed up that being here in this moment feels unreal. I look around me and a contended smile takes over my face. In that instance, I feel complete happiness, after so long.

Suddenly I remember Alexius and how he has never truly experienced this kind of normal. The thought upsets me a little.

"Guys will it be okay if I invite my brother to the movie?" I question my friends, looking at Sarah in particular since it's her house. Everyone's approval is quick and unhesitant.

I take out my phone to call Alexius. He sounds excited and I think a little overwhelmed.

I notice several texts from Archer as I end the call.

He had texted me something regarding colourblindness hours ago and then he texted me again fifteen minutes ago.

are you out?

I reply with,

Yeah, always out.

Gabe and I are incharge of arranging snacks. The fact that Gabe knows his way around Sarah's kitchen makes our task easier.

My phone pings while I am emptying a packet of Doritos into a glass bowl.

where you headed?

I smile as I type out a reply,

Death is the ultimate destination

but we all make stops along the way.

His replies are instant.

And here I thought I am the most annoying person to text.