12. Surprises

The word prank comes from the Dutch 'pronken'meaning to flaunt or show off.
The first recorded use of the word prank in relation to the pulling of a practical joke was around 1520-1530.

I heard what you did and I loved it, couldn't stop laughing.

I wake up to a lot of texts.

Maya says she's sorry for what happened with the paps and that she had no idea what was actually going on. So I reply that it's okay and I forgive her.

Louis and Jimmy text me on our group chat, telling me they miss me and my stories. So I describe my pranks on the king and queen to them in brief, that should keep them going for a few days.

I have a few missed calls from Jenna which I am going to answer when a few texts from an unkown number catch my eye. I recognise the texter as soon as I've read the first text. After saving his contact I reply,

Thank you.

The first text message was sent on December 3, 1992.

I hate texting. It is hard to understand people through texts.

I take a short shower then tell my maids that I want to go to the dining hall alone. I need to learn how to navigate this palace at some point, why not start today.

As I am descending the staircase my phone starts ringing. One look at the caller Id and a wide smile streches across my face.

"I thought we are supposed to get to know each other over text for a few days and then move on to calls?" I say as soon as I pick up.

"Hello to you too. And is that how the kids are doing it nowadays? I had no idea." Comes his instant reply.

"Sure, grandpa. So why are you calling?" I try to sound confused.

"A few reasons actually. To check and make sure you are still alive, that I am not being pranked and it's really you texting me, not Alexius, and also because you said you hate texting, this is the next best thing." His reply makes me smile and roll my eyes at the same time.

I tell him about the pranks and why I like to do them. He tells me some more facts about pranks and texting.

I admit I may have purposefully got lost a few times to prolong our call but then I finally bid him farewell and enter the dinning hall after fifteen minutes.

A surprise waits for me at the breakfast table  sitting  on my seat next  to Alexius. Looks like I don't need to make  that call  after all.

"That's my seat." I say in mock annoyance.

"Oh well, everything that's yours is technically mine. So.." She shrugs.

"Who says that?" I raise a mocking eyebrow. I missed our playfull banter very much.

"Besties 101?" She says sheepishly.

"OK, shut up and come here, you weirdo." I relent.

We  hug each other and  finally something seems to be going right.

Jenna is here,  beside me, and she will know exactly what   I'm supposed to do.  Because no matter how lost I am she can always   navigate me back to  the edge of something wonderful.

"Face to face with changes. What's it all about? Help me!" I whisper in her ear.

"Well, life is crazy but I know we can work it out. You know how?" She replies.