Chapter 14

Chapter fourteen:

A fortnight had passed since I found out about my pregnancy and I was beginning to wish I hadn’t. It seemed as though ever since I found out, my body made sure to catch up with all the morning sickness I’d missed and I was currently lying in bed wishing I could just die. I told my boss the next day and he sent me home saying that I had overworked myself and needed to rest for the sake of my health and the baby.

I only dragged myself out of bed to throw up in the bathroom or grab something to eat. I had a huge appetite now and the weight I’d lost months ago had come back three fold. Apparently I was twenty-two weeks pregnant and due to have another ultrasound where I could find out the gender of the baby. My baby bump began to make an appearance last week and grew quickly so that unless I was wearing an extra baggy shirt, it was obvious I was pregnant.

Having an abortion was never an option. As soon as the initial shock passed I fell completely in love with this baby and knew it would be my number one priority. As for her daddy... I hadn’t had the guts to pick up the phone and call him. What would I say?

‘Oh hey there Jake, remember how I offered you no strings attached sex? Well, apparently there was one string attached and it’s in the form of an umbilical cord attached to the baby we made currently growing in my womb. How’s business been?’

No... obviously not.

As I contemplated how long it would take to crawl to the bathroom a knock sounded at my door. Ugh, who the hell would be visiting me? I hadn’t made any close friends and the only person who knocked on my door was the fedex man who brought my boxes up to my apartment.

The knocking got louder and more impatient yet no one yelled or asked if I was home. I considered letting them continue but after five minutes of constant knocking I groaned and flipped the dirty sheets off of me to drag myself to the door. Whoever the hell was knocking the crap out of my door would be in for a gruesome surprise when they saw me.

I glanced at my reflection in the TV screen as I passed it to the door and grimaced when I saw my tangled hair and dull skin. I hadn’t showered yet and my baggy clothes were all wrinkled. The knocking continued and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m coming damnit!” I shouted.

I unlocked the door and threw it open.

“Surprise!!! How have you-... Sasha! What the hell happened to you? Are you okay?” The incessant knocker was my best friend Jenna and I had to say that I was utterly surprised that she was here. I hadn’t seen her since the day I left for Australia and she had gone as far as begging me on her knees not to leave.

“Uh... I’m fine” I finally answered. “Come on in Jenna, how’ve you been?”

She eyed me sceptically before walking in dragging her luggage behind her and sat herself on the sofa.

“I’ve been good... Jake’s been a pain in the ass lately though, just in case you were wondering” I rolled my eyes at her and shook my head.

“Well that’s good for you and too bad for him. Now, may I ask what this random visit is about, not that I don’t appreciate it”

“Nothing” she said a little too quickly, “Can’t a girl travel across the world without notice to visit her best friend?”

“Apparently not...” I said but quickly stopped when I felt a wave of nausea hit me. I covered my mouth and ran to the bathroom as fast as I could without making it worse. I burst through the door and heaved up my stomach contents before cleaning myself off. I turned to leave and came face to face with Jenna.