Strawberries

The sun was blazing, setting a blinding light in the blue sky. It wasn't directly overhead, but it might as well have been with the amount of heat it gave off. Everything seemed to be melting into the ground and the stoplights looked like they were sagging. Even the people, tightly packed on the sidewalk and shoved in cars, looked like this would be the end. Another few minutes and they might become puddles on the sidewalk.

"Ice cream," Bucky said as the two males made their way past the people on the sidewalk. Steve gave him a confused look and shook his head. "I want ice cream."

"It'll melt right away, though. And then," Steve shrugged, "what's the point?"

Bucky frowned, "Then you eat the ice cream quickly. It's simple."

Steve stepped to the side avoiding the lamp post, "But why have melted ice cream, it just seems so pointless" The two boys argued the whole time they walked.

Argue some, avoid people, don't get hit when walking across the street. It was the same thing over and over as they walked. They did this every day, almost. Sometimes they walked South instead of North, but that was only when they had laundry to do. 

On those days they'd gather their dirty clothes and bring them one and a half blocks south to the laundymat named Laund-O-Mat. After putting in quarters and the clothes one of them would wait for the other to get coffee and bring it back. Coffee duty usually fell to Bucky, who didn't like the damp air that filled the small building lined with washers and dryers. 

Today, though, was a walk-to-the-park-after-breakfast day, happening on Wednesdays or Fridays. Today was Friday. So that meant a 20-minute walk to the lusciously green park. Most times they'd go for lunch, bring a picnic, but seeing the warmth already so early they knew it was best to only go for a brisk visit.

When they got there, the 526-acre park came to sight. It was, to say the least, packed. There were children playing football, families picnicking, couples walking, and dogs and their owners everywhere.

When they saw this Bucky started snickering. "Of course."

Steve put his arm around Bucky, "So what was this about ice cream?"

Bucky pushed steve off, "Too hot," he whispered, "I saw a place back there, like two streets back. It might be packed."

"On a Friday morning at 9 in the summer?" Steve asked, "I mean don't people sleep in anymore? Is that still a thing?"

Bucky whipped out a little notebook and scribbled something down. Steve watched, not questioning. "Questions for Sam or Natasha," Bucky said as he shoved the book back into his pocket.

They decided on the ice cream, so they turned back and made their way up the steady stream of people until they saw a small building sandwiched in between two larger ones. The building had a turquoise door which was flanked by two windows that were dressed with window box planters. Above the door was a sign reading Cone and Chips.

The small ice cream shoppe was crowded, but the air conditioning was working hard to overcome the heat from the many bodies that occupied the space. There were two people working behind the glass, a girl with a high blond ponytail and a face full of expertly done makeup and a boy with a football jersey and an annoyed expression.

Above the servers was a menu, one side showing the many flavours and the side was a list of different types of french fries.  

"Strawberry, yes," Bucky exclaimed excitedly. "I haven't had that in a while."

Steve gave a warm smile. "Is that what you're gonna get?"

"Yes," Bucky said wholeheartedly. "Definitely yes."