1

Petunia hadn't been to Diagon Alley since Rosie and she had been dragged along that first year. After that, the Evans sisters' parents had been content to leave their other daughter's at home, and Petunia had been content to stay home. She would have never set foot into Diagon Alley again of not for the worried eleven-year-old holding tightly onto her hand. The Evans parents had died the year before, while Lily was away taking her last year of school. Whether they would have taken their youngest daughter to Diagon Alley or not was unsure, but they couldn't now. And Lily had shown no intentions of doing it.

That left Petunia, Rosie's legal guardian, to do the task. Although now that she no longer had to watch Lily run about, bragging about all the things she would learn at Hogwarts that Petunia wouldn't Petunia didn't think it was that bad. She and Rosie had poured over Rosie's list the night before and had come up with a game plan. First thing was first, they would need to go to Gringotts and make an account for Rosie. Petunia didn't really want to have to deal with goblins every time Rosie needed new robes, so she and Rosie decided they would convert all the money their parents had left the two of them and put it into a vault so that Rosie could use it whenever she wanted. Or needed.

Petunia had already spent what she needed from her inheritance on the house she and her husband had bought together, so she was willing to give her sister the rest of it. After Gringotts, the two of them had decided that they would go to Ollivander's to get Rosie's wand. They could base the rest of their shopping on how much time they had left over, but Petunia remembered quite vividly that it took Lily nearly an hour and a half to get her wand. Neither sister was quite sure what to expect, as their parents had asked them to wait outside while Lily got her wand, but they knew it could be a long process.

Depending on how much time they had left, Petunia and Rosie would work through the rest of Rosie's list shop by shop. Petunia only had a hazy memory about where they would need to go, so she assumed they would need to ask around a bit. No matter, they would be done before they knew it. Petunia used the hand that wasn't holding Rosie's to rub her stomach tenderly. Back home to her husband. Back home to normalcy.

It took a bit more time in Gringotts than either sister expected. Normally when a witch was just a baby, their parents would come in and make an account for them. When Petunia and Rosie's parents had first come to Gringotts they had only had one witch daughter, so they had only made one account. This meant that the task fell onto Petunia's shoulders. It took a while, but eventually Petunia and Rosie were back on the street headed towards the wand shop with a sufficient amount of wizarding money in Petunia's purse.

Ollivander's wasn't hard to find. There was a large sign proclaiming both the name of his shop and that it dated back to three hundred and eighty-two AD. What was hard to find was the shop owner. When Rosie and Petunia walked into the shop they were met with the smell of stale dust and wood. Ollivander himself was nowhere to be seen.

"Mr. Ollivander?" Rosie's voice wavered as she called out, into the gloom of the wand shop. Petunia pulled her sister closer to her side.

The two of them nearly screamed when a little man with white hair and a large nose popped out from behind the counter, eyes zeroing in on Rosie.

"And who might you be?" he questioned the young witch, who was practically cowering behind her muggle companion. Petunia put her fright aside and leveled the wandmaker with a displeased look. "Muggleborn or I would remember your parents."

Ollivander pulled himself out from behind his counter and began to circle the sisters.

It wasn't until Rosie cowered deeper into Petunia's skirts that the eldest Evans sister decided to say something. 

"Her name is Rose Evans and you're scaring her. If you would desist rounding on us like a wolf looking for his next meal, it would be much appreciated!"

Ollivander came to a sudden halt and stared like he hadn't expected the muggle woman to say anything. He gazes at the sisters for a moment longer before he disappears back into his shelves.

"Evans," the sisters could hear him mutter to himself. "Best start with Willow, then."

*******

It was sometime later that Ollivander finally threw his hands into the air. He had been through nearly every willow wand in his shop, of all lengths and cores, and none of them fit Rosie Evans. With Rosie's sister, the old wandmaker had been able to get an instant read on her. He had been able to tell at least what wood she would use. With Rosie there was nothing. Like none of the wands Ollivander had ever made would resonate with the little witch.

With that thought, a light bulb seemed to pop over the old wizards head and he scampered off to another part of the shop. When he came back he had four wand boxes in his hands.

"Usually when I make a wand I can tell who it goes to, there's just something about working with a wand that tunes you into their wavelength. Their needs. Therefore you must be suited for a wand by another maker. These are all the wands from other makers that I have."

Ollivander set the four boxes on the counter with a flourish, opening the first one.

"Nine and a half inch aspen wand with a dragon heartstring core." he went to offer the wand to the girl but pulled back right before she could grasp it. "Perhaps not."

Ollivander fingered the next box, but with a shake of his head put it aside as well. He opened the third box to reveal a Beechwood wand, ten and a half inches.

"This wand it Beech, and has a white river monster spine core. Dreadfully tricky to work with so I don't touch it, but with Beech, I believe it works quite well." Ollivander practically thrust the wand into Rosie's hand and almost as soon as it touched her skin, the tip lit up like nothing Ollivander had seen before. The old man sighed in relief and waved his own wand to repair his shop.

"That will be eight galleons."

*******

When Petunia and Rosie left the wand shop they were nearly ready to pass out. The entire experience had been much more tiring than they had anticipated and when Petunia looked down at her watch she realized why the two of them were so tired. They had been in the wand shop for nearly three hours. Petunia huffed out a hysterical laugh before she pulled her sister into her side.

"I'm not quite sure that was worth the hassle," she admitted, Rosie nodding in agreement. "But never mind that now, there's a robes shop across the street there and your list says you need school robes."

The two of them set their best foot forward and continue with their shopping trip.