23

Because of Rosie's invitation to the Black Christmas party, Rosie's family decided to hold Christmas on the day after Christmas. Really, that worked out better for everyone. As it turned out, Petunia was overjoyed at receiving a wizard chess board, especially when she was able to thoroughly beat both Rosie, and Sebastian. Dudley had also enjoyed his toy, as much as a one and a half year old could enjoy it. Whilst at school Rosie had charmed the plushie to sing to him whenever he couldn't sleep at night.

And Vernon was quite pleased with his perfectly normal tie. It had little flowers on it that he found quite handsome.

Rosie had gotten Sebastian and Penny each a box of their favorite candies, and they both seemed to enjoy them.

All and all it was a fairly successful Christmas in the Evans-Dursley house and Rosie wasn't upset at all when she got back onto the train, so that it could take her back to Hogwarts.

*******

Rosie had been back to school for several months, falling into a simple routine when it happened. The Defense against the Dark Arts teacher for that year, they changed every year, Professor Lindel, assigned a three foot research paper on dementors and how to banish them.

The previous year where Rosie had spent nearly all her free time in the library, she had briefly read about Dementors. She knew they fed on happiness, that they guarded the wizarding prison of Azkaban, and that they could be banished with the use of the patronus charm. She knew a bit, but not enough to fill three feet of parchment no matter how big she wrote.

Rosie had been avoiding the library since Regulus' death, as the boy had made it his priority to spend all of his time with her and she had spent all of her time there. Rosie always assumed she would work up the courage to go back one day.  As it turned out Professor Lindel made the decision for her.

Rosie noted the library smelled just as she remembered it as she lingered in the doorway. Just in her line of vision was Madame Prince, the librarian who had been quite taken with Rosie last year. Rosie took a deep breath before she ventured into the huge cavern of knowledge.

*******

Penny looked up from her book, an old potions textbook that Rosie had gotten Madame Prince to pull from the restricted section, and smiled. Rosie had finished her report on dementors ages ago and had somehow managed to accumulate enough books to build herself a little nest out of them. Day after day for the last week Rosie had been coming to the Library to read. And it was completely refreshing to see her slowly moving on.

*******

Dear Headmaster Dumbledore,

Rosie wrote, remembering a similar letter she had written to her sister the week before.

It has come to my attention due to a conveniently timed essay on Dementors that there are very few career options in the wizarding world that truly interest me.

Honestly, Rosie had actually been quite disappointed when she found out how limited the wizarding world really was. It didn't really help that Rosie didn't love any of her classes. She liked them well enough and she got excellent grades, but none of them tempted her to made a career out of them.

I have recently learned that to pursue a muggle career and to attend a muggle university out of Hogwarts, I will need to submit my muggle school grades.

Petunia had actually been quite peeved about that fact, when Rosie had had her look into it. Petunia felt that Rosie's magical education should hold just as much merit as any muggle education. Unfortunately Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was not recognized as a real school by any University in Europe.

My sister and I have discussed my options and have come to the conclusion that I should continue my muggle education alongside my magical one and have come to a compromise. Petunia has suggested that next year I request weekend leave, so that I might return home and complete my muggle assignments there, then return for a full week of magical learning-

Rosie didn't at all like how that was worded. She chewed on the end of her sugar quill, which she had been delighted to discover actually worked as a quil so long as one didn't eat the ink dipped tip when they came to it, and thought.

It is because if this that I am writing to request you grant me weekend leave during next term so that I may return home for two days a week and complete my muggle education alongside my magical one. I believe that not only will this ensure I have more options in the future, but I will also learn another set of skills that I would not if I confined my learning to Hogwarts.

It was better when she wrote it the second time, but she still wasn't completely pleased with it. Rosie set her sugar quill aside and sighed, her eyes boring into the parchment on the table in front of her. Rosie had thought that by getting all the details straight with her sister, the letter would be easier to write.

As it turned out all the details in the world didn't help hide the fact that Rosie was essentially calling Hogwarts incompetent, and incapable of fulfilling her needs. Which wasn't something Rosie wanted to tell the headmaster of Hogwarts.

Rosie sighs and leans her head against the table. Growing up was hard.

*******

Eventually Rosie did end up sending the letter, after she tweaked it half a dozen times and Penny pried it out of her fingers to give to Hera. The week following was worse than sending the letter itself.

Rosie wasn't sure what on earth could take that long to respond, in her head it was a yes or no answer; either yes, Rosie could go home on the weekends to complete her muggle course work next year or no, she would have to stay at the school like every other student. That week was bad for Rosie, and bad for Penny as well as the loyal girl refused to leave Rosie's side.

It was times like those, where Rosie was under stress or was feeling particularly anxious, that the part of the Dark Lord's soul in the horcrux around Rosie's neck had the most effect in her. She had been dealing with it for a little under a year by that point and she felt pretty confident in her compartmentalizing. She was herself and the Dark Lord was someone else. They were different so for the most part she was able to keep them seperate.

The week it took for Dumbledore to respond marked the week that Rosie blurred the lines. Her homework confused her and she scowled. A fourth year bumped into her in the hallway and she nearly reached for her wand. She really was a mess and Penny was really the only one who could stand to be around her.

*******

Dear Miss. Evans, I have read your letter and pondered it for the last week, and have spoken about it with both the Deputy Headmistress Professor McGonagall and your head of you Professor Flitwick. I graciously thank you for your patience and understanding during our  deliberation process.

The letter came nine days after Rosie sent her letter, during breakfast.

It was after careful deliberation that my peers and I came to a conclusion, one which I hope will be satisfactory for all parties involved. First, let me begin by stating that there has never been a student at Hogwarts who has brought such a problem to my attention so I was quite stumped. I suppose I shouldn't have assumed that all students would want to remain a part of the magical world once they left Hogwarts.

The headmaster had a way with words that under any other circumstances Rosie would have enjoyed. Presently, she skipped several paragraphs and went to the bottom of the headmaster's reply.

It is because of these reasons that I and my colleagues have decided that we will allow you to return to your home during the next term, and remain at Hogwarts only during the school week. Of course we expect to see your grades remain at the level they are at now.

Furthermore we will expect reports from your sister telling your progress in  your muggle education as well, to ensure you are not slacking in either. So long as you continue to provide above average grades there will be no issues. Sincerely, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Headmaster Of Hogwarts.

Rosie dropped her head onto the breakfast table as soon as she finished reading, causing Penny to snatch the letter out of Rosie's hand to see what the Headmaster had to say. Rosie was so relieved at the news that she didn't even notice a stand of her beautiful golden hair had landed in syrup.