Chapter 7

Ash was running. He was running in circles, in what seemed to be a dark empty void that was... endless.

      "Where am I?" he thought, as his face perspired with exertion and panic. He desperately looked around him, searching for a door, window or even a tiny hole where any light, if there were anyway, seeped through that lifeless, hollow space.

    Nothing...Ash was trapped and he didn't know how he got stuck in it, in the first place.

     The last thing he remembered was having a joyous dinner with his family, before he went out to get some fresh air. And then...it all became a blur and now, here he was.

    "This is nonsensical!" yelled Ash, irately. "Where in the world am I?" he thought as he rubbed his temples in frustration.

     "Calm down, Ash", said a voice from within the lifeless void, which made Ash jump in shock. "W...wh...who said that?" he stuttered.

       "Ah, so you wish to know?" the deep voice echoed. "Ash Ronald Flint?".

       "You know my name?" Ash asked, hiding his upscaling fear for a moment. "How's that even possible?" he asked.

       "We know everything...where you live, who are your parents and even that meticulous incident at the factory. We, know it all", said the deep voice again, this time with more perspicacity.

      "We?" Ash rephrased. "You mean there's two of you?"

      Suddenly, Ash heard the deep voice suddenly fade, followed by a husky voice. The voice of laughter.

     "No, no. That's ridiculous", the cyptic voice replied with a hint of sarcasm. "I would not call us 'two' persons, Ash. In fact, we are not a 'person' at all".

      "Then what are you, aliens? Mindfreaks?" Ash remarked feverishly.

       The hollow space was filled with cackling laughter again before it said, "You really are humorous, that's for certain. We are an infinite being Ash, neither in matter nor life. You can call us, the 'Shadowverse'.

       Ash was dazzled and confused. It was like an attack of brain contusions in his head. He was talking to an unknown entity which trapped him in a mysterious space where not even a hint of life existed and actually called itself, the...Shadowverse?

      "I must be going crazy", thought Ash to himself. "Don't worry, Ash. We mean you no harm", the Shadowverse ensured. "You are gifted, with a rare ability. An ability that you could never wish for..."

     "What ability?" Ash asked but there was no reply. Ash was starting to feel a sudden surge of energy within him which seemed to be pulling him away, the sound of the Shadowverse, fading with every pull...

     "W-hat a-bilty?!" Ash questioned again, but there was no use, Ash felt the world around him start to spin as the weight of the whole space around him start to fall on his shoulders, and then..

       Ash woke up in his bed with a gasp. His bed were in shambles and the buttons of his pajamas were unbuttoned. In whole, Ash himself was a mess. He ran his hands through his hair, as he was unbelievably snapped back to reality.

     "Was that a dream?" he thought. "But, it felt so real..."

      And indeed, it was...