Chapter 9

Ash was feeling estatic. Estatic with his new 'gift'. He was getting used to that word now and as he walked back home, he contemplated on what he should do about it.

       "Maybe I should keep it a secret for now", he alleged. Yes. That certainly sounded right. If everyone knew about his powers, then there's no way he could escape the publicity media and he's certainly not up for that.

       "The less they know, the better", and so he thought.

                     *    *    *    *

       The people inside the Gold Bank and Insurance building were chaotic and fervent. Anyone would be, after a scrupously planned robbery took place.

     Some of them were in contention about the security, that it was too less mordent, others were raising their fists in anger at their lost dosh while the latter just carped in dismay as the manager in charge writhed with multiple complaints and curses...

     15 minutes ago...

     "You call this vigilant 'security' Captain?" badgered Scar-J as he put in a few more crates of gold into their bags.

     The heist was a feat. Once again, due to his superior acumen. Hacking through the security's main interframe wasn't as hard as he thought. It was merely just a matter of seconds...

      "Got to admit that Captain Hunter! Jason here is really the genius", added Gregor as they dashed out through the back entrance, with chockful bags of gold bars and cash.

       Hunter was exultant but he wouldn't celebrate their victory just yet. Especially, not when their pickup ride was late.

     "Where is the truck? There's supposed to be a truck coming to pick us up!" Scar-J exclaimed feverishly, as he re-checked his math.

     The streets were quiet as always, but it wouldn't be long before it wasn't, and Hunter was starting to get irked. It wouldn't be long before...

"Screw the truck! Captain, I think someone's watching us!" said Gregor as he pointed to a man in his 50s at the bus stop opposite the street. Exactly, what Hunter was worried about.

      "Hello there, sir", Hunter began, as he put down the bursting bags on the pavement. "What is a healthy man like you doing here at this hour?" he queried, as he slowly sauntered across the street, frolicking with a silencer in his hand.

     "Ignore me sir. I'm just an old man waiting for a cab", the man replied timorously. "That is true", said Hunter. "But your action speak more than your words", he added as he treaded closer.

     "I...I won't tell anyone about what I saw. I promise. Take this from the words of a candid man", the man stammered as Hunter pointed the tip of the silencer to his head.

      Then abruptly just as he was about to answer, their pickup truck pulled up in front of him. "Captain, let's go. Ignore that old man", Gregor called. But Hunter wasn't listening. His finger still adamant on the trigger.

      "My father was an honest chap", said Hunter as he pressed the tip harder against the man's temple. "Please sir, I have a fami-" , the gun fired, and the bullet penetrated through the man's skull as he collapsed to the ground. Dead.

      "I hated my father", Hunter finished and hopped on the truck with his comrades. "What was that for?" asked Scar-J, his eyes fixed on the corpse as they sped away. Hunter simply gave a lopsided smile as he said,

       "Killjoys".