Chapter Two

Micheal POV 

        My family, extended or not, is the definition of the adjective reckless. My mother jumped into the holy mirror/lake in Alicante with no foreboding when she was 16, my dad was a pillar of heavenly fire in hell when he was 17, and my sister decided it was a good idea to swing from the Institute's roof and scream in jubilation. 

"ARIA!" I yell, waving my arms to get her attention. "Get DOWN from there. By the Angel, your going to kill yourself." 

"Yeah, and me while your at it." I hear Zia mumble beside me. Of course. Aria and Zia are parabatai, so if Aria hurts herself Zia feels some of the pain. 

"NO CAN DO BROTHER DEAR!" Aria screams back, continuing to swing from the floors like a gymnast.  "I WANNA DIE TONIGHT!" 

Alec stares at his niece (not by blood relation) in disbelief. "Well your doing a damn well of a job. Keep at it Aria." 

I hear a chuckle by the doors. "Your going to kill my kids, Alec." Says the unmistakable voice of my father, leaning agaisnt the door frame. Alec grins at his parabatai. 

"Please tell me your going to tell your daughter to get down from the rafters." 

Dad turns and looks at Aria. "COME ON DOWN! THATS ENOUGH AGILITY TRAINING FOR TONIGHT." Aria gives a small, almost unnoticible nod and leaps from the roof. She lands in a graceful crouch at our feet, and Zia claps. 

"See that M? You have to beat THAT." She teases, poking me in the ribs. I elbow her back, only slightly annoyed. If anyone else compared me to my family, I would brutally decapitate them and bury their body at the entrence of the Seelie Court. But Zia .... she's an exception. 

I've always been overshadowed by my family, parents and sister all. My parents were the heroes of the Mortal War, Jace being literally composed of heavenly fire. My mother, Clary, has a special power of creating runes, and my sister's the best shadow hunter there is. Not to mention she's gorgeous. 

Screw genetics. 

My sister got the charming good looks, sharp witted humor and uncanny agility, while I got stuck with the average looks and punny sense of humor. 

Dad smiles and ruffles Aria's hair, who swats his hand away. "Good job." He's practically beaming. Father. Please. 

Alec walks forward, pushing open the large ebony doors of the Institute. 

"I don't know or care about all of you," He begins, pulling Dad along. "But I'm freezing. Inside. Now."

The rest of us happily comply. 

~~~~~~~ 

"SIMON! YOU UNFAITHFUL BASTARD! WHERE ARE YOU?" Dad yells from accross the floor. Zia, Aria, and I are in the library looking for the log book to write down the Du'Sien demon, while my father's down the hall unpacking seraph blades from the Iron Sisters. Simon, who took the Shadowhunter name Nightshade when he ascended, yells back. 

"JACE, YOU BLOODY ASSHOLE. STOP THROWING BLADES AT ME." 

"JUST CHECKING YOUR STILL WORKING." 

"WORKING TO KILL YOU, YEAH. STOP OR I'LL PITCH THESE BLADES FROM THE ROOF." 

"WHATEVER." 

This was not unusal really, Simon and Jace had a hell of a love/hate relationship. 

I turn and look in the desk drawers, still searching for the log. Ever sinced interdimensional travel became easier, we're required to keep note of all demons we witness and kill. Just in case there's some sort of pattern.