Chapter 3

"Tikki, spots on!"

Ladybug stifled a scream as her back complained. She exited the school by the rarely used back door. Making sure her backpack was secure, she threw her yoyo up a nearby building. She swung herself up, but she wasn't able to move her legs to propel herself forward. Her back hurt too much.

Wow, I really need to have a doctor check that out, Ladybug thought, wincing. She landed on the roof, and surveyed the city of Paris. The sun was setting, and all of the buildings were lighting up. She should've been able to enjoy the view, but her back...

"Is it broken?" she wondered, panic settling in. She reached back to feel it.

Suddenly a scream erupted in the distance. It was coming from the school. Ladybug whirled around.

A giant in black and white stripes and a blue head was rising from the school courtyard. It screamed.

"MARINETTE!"

Ladybug gasped.

"YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE LEFT!" The giant boomed. "WHERE ARE YOU MARINETTE?"

Why does it want me? Ladybug wondered. Who is--

"WE NEEDED YOU! AND NOW THE SHOW WILL FAIL BECAUSE OF YOU!"

The director!

Ladybug's heart hammered. Why was the director so angry at her, at Marinette? Then it hit her. The costume designer had helped with running the show as co-director. She hadn't just been the costume designer.

Without her partner, the director was completely on her own running the show. She must be so stressed! And when Marinette left...

Ladybug closed her eyes.

This is all my fault. It feels like there's so much to deal with lately. The show, fashion design, school work, making time for friends, Adrien, and now my back...

Students were running out of the school, screaming. Ladybug ran across the rooftop and jumped onto the next, and kept running until she was on the top of the building across from the school.

"Miss me, milady?"

Ladybug jumped. When she saw it was only pun-making Chat Noir, she relaxed. "Apparently this giant has some sort of grudge against someone named Marinette," she said. "I hope she's safe."

"Yeah, I hope so too."

Ladybug jerked her head to look at him. She perked an eyebrow.

"Not that I'd choose her over you, my lady," Chat Noir added quickly with a wink and a cocked smile.

Ladybug rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the akumatized victim. "Any ideas for where the akuma might be?"

Chat Noir pulled out his staff and pushed a button. A tiny screen came up and he held it up to the giant. It zoomed in, and he moved it around to see what the victim was holding.

"The giant seems to be holding a purr-tite clipboard. It's awfully tiny compared to her hand. Or paw."

"Chat, your puns get worse every day. Now come on, let's take her down." Ladybug threw her yoyo, and launched herself into the air. But instead of a smooth landing on the school roof, Ladybug's knees buckled, and she fell head over heels again.

"Milady!"

Ladybug struggled to her feet. "I'm fine," she insisted. She spun her yoyo around. "Chat, go and make sure the building is empty."

With a worried expression, Chat Noir hesitantly obeyed. He used his staff to lower himself down into the courtyard and check all the classrooms. Meanwhile, Ladybug studied the giant, who was frantically searching for a way out of the school courtyard.