Chapter 8

"So, Eagleflight. What are your special powers?"

Eagleflight landed smoothly on top of the Grand Paris Hotel. Chat Noir moved his staff so he could land next to her, but he miscalculated and fell flat on his face.

"If you must know, I have super strength, powerful vision, and flight." Eagleflight stared off into the distance, searching.

"Uh huh...Sure." It sounded too much like Volpina to Chat Noir, and he didn't like it. "You're not an akuma, right?"

Eagleflight jerked her head to stare at him. "No! Why would you think that?"

"Because an akuma tricked us by pretending to be a Miraculous holder and backstabbed us." His heart panged when he thought of Ladybug.

"Oh." Eagleflight looked awkward. "Well...how can I prove it to you?"

"How did you get your Miraculous?"

"A kwami gave it to me. He said that Ladybug and Chat Noir needed help."

Chat Noir nodded. "You passed. Now, since you're an eagle, would you say you're clawsome?"

Eagleflight rolled her eyes. "I've heard stories about how you make horrible puns and Ladybug gets annoyed."

Chat Noir held out a clawed finger. "My jokes are like a sick bird. They should be ill-eagle!"

Eagleflight facepalmed. "I've heard that joke before. Now come on, I saw Midnight heading toward the Pont des Arts bridge." She took off.

Chat Noir gazed after her. "She's so similar to Ladybug." He followed her on his staff.

Midnight was waiting for them on the bridge. She had a smirk on her face when she saw the newest arrival. "Another Miraculous holder? Great, more for me to take." She held up a fist, determined.

"Please, Marinette! Come back!" Chat Noir cried out.

Eagleflight glanced at her partner in confusion before turning her attention back to the akuma.

Midnight suddenly raised her arms as if lifting something. Chat Noir looked to the river and to his horror, a wave was rising over him and Eagleflight.

Before it could fall on them and potentially drown them, Eagleflight floated up and flew around and around in a circle, making a wind tunnel. The water sucked away from Chat Noir and splashed back into the water.

Midnight wasn't daunted at all. "Ah, flight and strength, I presume? A fair fight." She sprinted toward Chat Noir. He took out his staff, but her telekinesis picked it out of his hands and threw it into the water.

She reached for his arm, but he lurched away and dove under her. He came out skidding on his claws. Eagleflight came from behind Midnight and kicked her back.

A scream of pain reached Chat Noir's ears. Marinette had an injured back! He took the advantage of the distraction and yanked Midnight's arms and tried to restrain her and wrench her back. I'm so sorry, Marinette!

But Midnight responded with using her telekinesis on Chat Noir himself. She lifted him off the ground and threw him to the opposite side of the bridge.

Eagleflight threw a dagger from her belt at Midnight.

Midnight held up her hand and shot red energy. The dagger lurched to a halt. The dagger vibrated with potential energy.

"How did you...it was going so fast..." Eagleflight's yellow eyes widened, holding up her sword fearfully.

Chat Noir looked up painfully from the ground. He gazed at Eagleflight's expression. This is her first battle...! She wouldn't have expected this kind of villain!

"You have no idea what kind of power I have." With a twitch of her hand, the dagger shattered to pieces, falling to the ground in a chorus.

Eagleflight tried her best to shrug it off, and flew around Midnight, trying to create a wind tornado. Midnight held out her hand, and Eagleflight's strength started to drain.

"Get away!" Chat Noir ran over and grabbed Eagleflight's ankle and threw her away from Midnight. The wind tornado disappeared, and Midnight grabbed Chat Noir. He tried to yank away, and responded with a series of kicks and punches, but Midnight easily dodged them all and ended up pinning Chat Noir to the ground with her knee.

"I-I'm so sorry," Eagleflight whimpered. Chat Noir strained his neck to look at her. It was the first sign of weakness he had seen in the young heroine. She was struggling to get up. Only part of her strength had been taken away, but it was enough for her to fall. "I can't do this."

She flew away.

Chat Noir watched her go. He stared, appalled.

Eagleflight, the brave, bold heroine, ran away?

"Well, I guess your new sidekick didn't cut it, then?" Midnight laughed. Her white eyes changed colors, switching from the original beautiful blue to the haunting red and back to white again. "Bit of a scaredy-cat. Used to being depended on, for accessories or new clothes. Not being depended on as a savior of Paris." Midnight held down Chat Noir's arms with red jolts from her eyes. She reached down and carefully slid off his ring.

----------------------------------------------

Cliffhangers are an author's best friend lololololololol.

Comments are helpful, but i don't really like to leave comments either lololololololol.

peace out,

anicm