Part Six

*+*

"I know you're hiding, why do insist on staying up so late to read these stories, when you have all the time in the world?"

"Because I don't have all the time in the world." She said refusing to tear her eyes away from the story "And I'm not hiding, I'm sitting in this corner so grumpy old elves don't bother me."

"Yes, well you have lots of time to read. But an elfling like you needs rest."

"No please, I need to finish this chapter!" Lúthien pleaded

"All right Lúthien, but as soon as you're done, I am taking you straight to your chambers. And you must promise to stay there." Thranduil said sternly

"Whaaat? Are you saying I leave my room?"

"You think I am unaware of your whereabouts? I know you sneak out of your room periodically to come up here and read."

"But this library is filled with millions of stories I have not read yet! How could I not?"

"You will get your sleep Lúthien, I will make sure of that. Even if it means I need to stay by your side the entire night."

"But then you won't get your sleep, and you're the King of this realm. If I'm not mistaken, it is you who needs the most sleep. If you do not, the Kingdom may fall."

"Enough of your sarcasm child! Read your story or I will take it from you and spoil the ending by reading it out loud." Lúthien gasped in shock and disgust

"How could you say such a horrible thing!?"

"Read!" Thranduil pointed at her book, sitting down in a chair across the table

"Whatever you say your wickedness."

"What did you say?!"

"Just that this book is so utterly fascinating." She was quick to return to her book, flipping the pages constantly.

Thranduil was proud of how much his Lurielním had grown in her short time here in the Kingdom. When she first arrived, she had been completely illiterate and now, she was reading comely stories that not even he had bother to read. He often enjoyed watching Lúthien read, it was amazing how quickly she could finish an entire series of books in just a few days time. Thranduil respected her love for a books, he often wished he loved to read as much as her when he was a child. Now he just didn't have the time to read as much. His favorite part about her enjoyment of reading was whenever she'd finish a story, it would be all Lúthien would talk about. She'd go into depth about what she had read and how much the plot impacted her thoughts and emotions. There were times though, that he wished she didn't read as much. Especially whenever Lúthien would read a story she didn't understand or wasn't supposed to read.

Of course he didn't know every single book in his library and he wasn't there all the time to know what she was reading exactly. There was an incident once where she had read a book about a boy who killed himself because he was cursed to feel no emotion. So he thought that maybe he'd at least be able to feel death. And the story ended with him in the afterlife and he had got what he wished for, to feel something. But the catch was that he was now cursed to be lonely, and he wandered endlessly through darkness.

Thranduil didn't understand why it upset her so. It was just a story to him, but to her, it was more than that. And when he asked her why she had shed tears for this book, she answered simply, "I do not shed tears for this book, I weep because all the boy wanted was to be loved and now he's wondering around in the darkness all alone. I want to accompany him Thranduil!"