Part Twenty Three

The following days consisted of hard work, everyone was on edge. Lúthien used the gems that Thorin had gifted them to create an everlasting shield around the Realm by concentrating a great deal of magic into it. He had kept his word, the jewels were indeed strong enough to withstand its energy.

She constantly ran perimeter checks with a few of Thranduil's men and Abraxsis of course. Lúthien also rode though the city every once in a while to make sure that everything remained in order.

Lúthien had been waiting outside a shop for Abraxsis when she heard commotion over by the creek. She assumed there wasn't anything to worry about, but that was up until she heard a blood curdling scream. With a slight kick of her heels her horse trotted over to where a group of people had been standing.

Over the heads of those gathered there she could see a child walking across the creek and through the protective barrier. The shield was only designed to keep the evil out not the innocent in. Everyone had been too afraid to go after the child, they remained safely on the other side as they called out to her. None of them dared to cross, the assumed to be mother of the child cried as the watched her scamper off into the brush.

Lúthien knew the danger she'd be putting herself in if she crossed, but the child didn't deserve to endure whatever awaited on the other side. Whether it be spiders, orcs or even men that child needed to be saved.

"Move!" Lúthien's horse walked over to where the sobbing lady knelt

"My little girl! She was chasing some butterflies. I turned my back for a moment and she was gone!"

Lúthien despised the way these people had treated her, for the entirety of her life she had only known their discrimination. But she wasn't about to let her pride stand in between her and saving the girl. Even if she did save this child, his people wouldn't give her the respect she deserved. Thranduil was probably going to throw a tantrum over this, she could feel his rage in her bones.

"Stop your crying, I'm going after her."

The people watched in shock as the Lady of the Court wondered across the border that separated the good and the evil.

Abraxsis had finished with his errand when he realized Lúthien had no longer been waiting outside. He looked around and found no sign of her until her noticed the crowd, she was bound to be throwing herself into some sort of toruble.

"What's going on?" He asked a man

"The King's lady just went into the forest to retrieve a wandering child."

"Alone?"

"Yes." he couldn't help but roll his eyes

Abraxsis's stomach completely dropped to the floor. She was no fool, but Lúthien was indeed rash and made horrible decisions. All with good intentions of course, but the consequences aren't exactly what she thinks about when making these kinds of choices. He'd have to go in after her, but he wasn't sure if she should alert Thranduil's men for back up. Surely they'd snitch and cause a scene, he didn't want that. But also the possibility of needing back up was there.

Back in the forest Lúthien called out to the girl, but she continued straying away. But the child insisted on continuing to chase the butterflies.

"Hey! Come back here! It's too dangerous!"

Frustrated with the stubbornness of the girl, Lúthien urged her horse into a gallop and eventually caught up to the kid. She stopped right in front of her so that she wouldn't have anywhere else to go.