Part Twenty Nine

Lúthien's heart thundered so loud, she was certain he could hear it. What could he possibly want to discuss? Why was she so afraid? Thranduil eventually rose from where he sat, she did the same.

"I want you to know how grateful I am to have you here with me. You've been by my side ever since I could remember. Lúthien you truly are the light of my life."

She tired to keep herself as calm as possible, but her heart wouldn't allow her to keep a straight face.

"The truth is I don't deserve you, or any of your love. But I cannot deny the fact that I need you by my side, now and forever."

"Thranduil..." She wasn't able to complete her sentence

"I guess what I'm trying to say is..." he slowly got down on one knee

"Lúthien...would you do me the great honor of making me the happiest man in the world..." Thranduil pulled out a beautiful silver ring, with a large diamond on top. It glimmered in the light of the fire that roared beside them.

"By becoming not only my partner in life, but also Queen?"

"You know all I want is to be with you Thranduil."

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes." Lúthien breathed "A thousand times yes."

Thranduil's hands trembled as he gently slipped the ring onto her finger. Lúthien didn't know what to think, she had always known that being with him would make her happy. But she didn't expect this to be so soon, it frightened her a bit. Even though it was sudden, the overwhelming feeling of pure joy distracted her from anything else.

"Lurielním, do not be afraid." He said taking her left hand in his. Thranduil placed a tender kiss on the inside of her wrist, just like he always would.

"I never imagined I could feel such happiness in all my life." She smiled

"I know it's not much-"

"Are you kidding!? This is the most beautiful ring I've ever seen!"

"The boys helped me with the design and the jewels."

"You mean Fili and Kili?"

"The insisted they knew what they were doing, as it turns out they've certainly got talent."

Thranduil rose to his feet, admiring Lúthien in the flickering light. She was the most precious thing to him and he'd die before causing her any more harm. He didn't even notice that he'd begun to cry.

"Thranduil?" Lúthien asked "Are you alright?"

"You're so beautiful." He breathed

Lúthien slowly tucked the lose strands of his hair back before rising up onto her toes to kiss away his tears.

"I don't deserve this." Thranduil whispered

"Neither do I."

                                    *+*

"We're going off to war tomorrow aren't we?"

"Mhm." Lúthien replied against his chest

They lay in bed, holding one another as if it were their last night together

"Mirkwood remains unprotected by their King."

"They still have your army to fend off invaders, you think that just because you aren't there that they'd defy their King?"

"I would hope not, but I can't help but think that I've abandoned them in some way."

"Even if they think so, that doesn't make it true. We will fight for both Mirkwood and Erebor tomorrow."