09 | she knows

"Diana?" Bruce asked into his phone, anxious as the beeping stopped, signalling she had picked up. His heart is racing a mile a minute, thundering against his ribcage - a deep-rooted fear becoming palpable in his sweaty hands and shakiness. He could vaguely hear light panting and loud background noises - bangs and curses - almost drowning out the unsteady breathing.

"Bruce, I am busy right now," The lightly-accented voice he recognised as Diana's answered, and he realised he could hear screaming in the background.

"Diana? What the hell is going on- we need to talk," He told her, pacing around in his room, biting his lip and wincing.

"I told you, I am busy right now!" She told him again, before saying something he couldn't quite hear. "The situation is resolved now, you are far too impatient." 

"What happened? Was that screaming?" He frowned, leaning against the wall of his room. 

"I was doing my job. What do you want, Bruce?"  Diana asked. 

"Well, last night I went to a party-" he started. 

"You'll need to hurry up, I do not have long." 

"I got drunk, blackout drunk. I started talking- Diana, listen to me. I started talking about you-" 

She chuckled in response, a light airy laugh that sounded like bells chiming in the wind, "Should I be happy or offended?" 

"This is serious, I got so drunk I started telling Tony Stark, a room full of money-hungry billionaires and the Avengers that you're like Captain America- I told them that you fought in the First World War, I told them too damn much and half of it wasn't true," He sighed. 

"I'm coming to Gotham." The laughing had stopped - dying into a stern tone that spoke of disapproval, and now all Bruce felt was dread, writhing around and rearing in his gut like some great beast as the call ended abruptly.