11 | verification process

The ride to Stark Tower was slow, and cruel. It had rained heavily, and Bruce himself was not in the best of moods. He sighed as he realised how much of a mess he had given himself to try to clean up, and he had even pulled Diana, of all people, into it too. 

The car stopped abruptly outside of the tower, and Bruce started the walk into the lobby. He had some explaining to do, even though he was hoping to be able to play it off as a nonsensical drunken fantasy. When he pulled open the door, he came face-to-face with the people he was previously optimistic he could convince. 

There stood Tony Stark, to his right, two redheaded women, Natasha Romanoff and Tony's girlfriend, Pepper. Clint and Wanda sat at the back of the lobby, but Steve stood next to Tony, hellbent on getting answers, staring Bruce down intensely. 

"Wayne," Tony greeted, shaking his hand firmly, "I believe you owe us some answers." 

Before Bruce could even get a word in, Natasha spoke. 

"Mr. Wayne. It is a matter of national security that we know of the existence and whereabouts of Miss. Prince, if you have been telling the truth about her." 

Bruce clenched his jaw tightly, "I was drunk, Miss Romanoff. I can't even remember what I've said, and most of it was probably just me rambling." 

Tony glanced sideways at Natasha and Steve, "Do you know where Miss. Prince is?" 

He sighed, Diana was sure to show up at Wayne Manor, or god-forbid, Stark Tower to get the answers she wanted from him soon. "No, but she's on her way to Gotham." 

"Mr. Wayne, it is very important we know the truth about Miss. Prince-" Natasha started. 

"Is she like me?" Steve interrupted, meeting Bruce's eyes. 

Bruce opened his mouth to speak, but paused for a second, "No, not at all." 

Pepper spoke for the first time, "Mr. Wayne, you understand of course, we still need to set up a meeting with Miss. Prince to verify that your claims at last nights party were false." 

He nodded slowly, internally berating himself for having so much to drink that night. "Perfect," he muttered, knowing that Diana would be less than happy with him.