6] places to be

❁———⠀⠀⠀ ⎡ ❉ ⎦⠀⠀⠀———❁

Sunday 11:37am

"Well, good morning you two!"

The bellowing voice of Jackie echoed throughout the apartment, seemingly louder than it actually was due to the Noah and Peter being rudely awoken.

Their eyes opened at the same time, reacting to the burst of noise in the room.

Peter looked down at the position he was lying in, his arm still wrapped around Noah's waist like it had been for hours. Quickly realising the awkward situation that they were currently in, Peter withdrew his hand and bolted upright, as did Noah. They sat with their hands firmly placed on their laps and started to fake cough, trying to distract from the situation.

"Looks like you two had fun, hm?" Jackie smirked at the pair, placing shopping bags onto the kitchen counter.

"What, no! We didn't-It's really not how it looks, I promise you!" Noah's face flushed with embarrassment, as Peter sat beside her wit his jaw clenched and eyes diverted to the ground.

"Hm, sure." Jackie raised an eyebrow causing Noah to rise from the couch.

"Mom!" She groaned, walking over to the kitchen area and grabbing two glasses from the overhead cabinet.

'You want juice?' She mouthed to Peter, he nodded with a smile.

"So, if you didn't-do anything, what did you do?" Jackie continued, trying to dig for answers.

"Like we said... nothing, just watched a few movies, that's all."

Jackie sighed, placing a hand on Noah's shoulder

"Noah, a word please..." She whispered. Noah nodded cautiously, getting an idea of what the 'word' would be about. Jackie pulled her daughter into the hallway that led to the bedrooms, away from Peter's listening range.

"Hey, erm, I'm sorry for shouting last night and getting a little crazy. I just need you to understand why I'm doing this." Jackie continued to whisper, though Peter couldn't hear anyway, he just sat awkwardly waiting on the sofa.

"That's the thing, I don't understand! Yeah, I get that you and Dad-, you know, but why do we have to move? Why can't he move? All my friends are here, my education, my life! Why?"

Noah placed her hands on her hips, a distressed look clouding her face. Jackie smiled sympathetically.

"Look, I've not been in the best headspace right now with the whole divorce, and I feel like getting out of here would be best for me, and you, Noah. Your father and I have been talking about it for months, I bought the house a few months ago so that we could move whenever things got worse, which they have. Please try to understand where I'm coming from here, I wouldn't do all this if I didn't think it would help you in any way."