7] the confession

❁———⠀⠀⠀ ⎡ ❉ ⎦⠀⠀⠀———❁

The following day~

Monday 11:21am

It was one of those cold and dismal days where students would have to attend school with the sky above them like a murky off-white, the air was cool and crisp, the grass dewy and coated in tiny water droplets that acted like minuscule mirrors.

Peter stood in the corridor of Midtown High, his locker door open to shield his face. His under-eye on the right was black from bruising, due to his encounter with Ray the day prior. He opened the camera on his phone, using it as a mirror to prod at the bruising, wincing at the touch. That's when a pair of hands grabbed his shoulders.

 That's when a pair of hands grabbed his shoulders

"Guess who..." The voice belonging to the person who had grabbed Peter came from behind him, taking him by surprise.

"Santa?" Peter asked jokingly, spinning around until his eyes met with the sight of a grinning Noah, who's grin quickly dropped to a frown when she saw Peter's injuries.

"Woah, what happened to your eye?" She furrowed her brows, staring intensely at the bruising on the boy's face.

"Walked into a cupboard door in the kitchen. I opened it to get something out, turned away and when I turned back around..." Peter shrugged his shoulders with a wince as he remembered the sheer agony of what really happened, playing it off as the 'kitchen cupboard incident' to avoid revealing his 'secret identity'.

"Well you're an idiot, aren't you?" Noah chuckled, oblivious to Peter's cover story. The pair stood side by side in comfortable silence in the hustle and bustle of the school corridors, Peter eventually broke it.

"Hey, where'd you go yesterday? I was about to have breakfast on my own with your mom, not like that's a bad thing or anything but still..."

Noah rolled her eyes at Peter's quickly added point on the end of his statement.

"My dad wanted a 'coffee meeting' with me to say bye before we move, apparently he's out of town when we go. Ugh, I hate him. He's never around, he's never been like a real dad to me."

Peter gave a sympathetic smile, knowing what Noah had been through in her life. He tried his best to be there for her no matter what, even when he felt like he hadn't done enough, Noah would always tell him that he had. Noah was incredibly thankful to have Peter as a friend, she would choose to pour out her worries and troubles to him over her own mother.

"Noah! Quick! I have some tea to spill!" A chestnut haired girl called from across the hall, Peter presumed it was one of Noah's friends. Noah grinned, her head snapping in the direction of the voice and then turning back to Peter.

"Oo, that's my cue, can't go missing any of this good gossip. Won't be long, okay?"

Peter nodded as he watched Noah power walk through the crowd around her, getting her fair share of shoves and barges from the hurrying people, before eventually reaching her friend, Cora.