chapter 29

Sam’s POV

Dean and I were hunched around my laptop, while Millie and Anna slept on beds behind us. Millie had given us the registration plates of the stolen car left outside their motel room. 

“Jackpot!” I declared after a moment. Dean jerked.

“What?” Dean asked.

“That demon was terrible at covering it’s tracks,” I said, showing Dean my laptop screen, which had open the exact spot of where the car was stolen from. Right opposite the park was an abandoned warehouse. And after doing a bit of research, and finding that the recent local lotto winners had been found dead there, mauled by some sort of animal; I was certain that our crossroads demon was stationed there.

“Wake the girls,” I told Dean. “We’re off to Dallas.”

Dean and I got in the Impala and started off. Millie, Anna and Rocky following us in their Mustang. As always, Dean was driving. I pulled out my, or rather, Ruby’s knife, and cleaned it on a scrap of fabric in my pocket.

“Are you sure we’re heading to the right place?” Dean asked. “It could be a bust.”

I stared at him, slightly offended. “Don’t you trust me, Dean?”

Dean swallowed, and didn’t say anything. We drove in silence for a while, then Dean broke the silence again. “So, uh, what exactly was it that you and Millie were doing yesterday?”

I felt a heat spreading across my cheeks, and buried my face in my hands. “Nothing.”

 I rubbed my face, and lifted my head, to find Dean staring inquisitively at me. “You know Sammy,” he said. “It’s almost impossible for anyone to lie to my face. Especially you.”

I didn’t say anything, hoping he wouldn’t catch me out. Unfortunately it wasn’t my lucky day. “You kissed her, didn’t you?” Dean continued. I groaned, and re-buried my face. 

“It’s not like you didn’t,” I retorted, straightening up. 

Dean sighed, and didn’t say anything. But it was as clear as day that he did kiss Anna.

I turned away from him, and resumed wiping the knife.