Chapter 2

Curses fly, elbows are thrown; my sides ache from all the jabs I've received in just the past hour alone. I was sure to find bruises later on from the numerous times Calum's elbow has collided with my ribcage. 

"HEY!" I shout in unsion with Calum.

"Dammit," the curse falls from Michael's lips as he throws his controller onto the couch beside him, unfairly pausing the game.

"Mikey, I will kick your ass unpause the game," I threaten.

"Why can't you ever be on my team, Hadley?" he groans, jutting out his lower lip like a small child; I look away and try not to grin.

"I only do it to piss you off; it's your fault I can beat you at FIFA," I laugh.

"Unpause the fucking game," Calum whines and I can see the angered, puppy dog look on his face without even turning to his attention. Instead I look back at Michael leaning backwards onto the couch cushions. He smiles up at me for only a second before his dark hair falls into his eyes. Blood rushes to my cheeks and my heart races. Stop it, Hadley. He returns to his position on the edge of the couch; the game proceeds. Michael nudges me with his shoulder, forcing me into Calum who only returns the gesture until we're all pushing and shoving, yelling at each other, and quite frankly, acting like a bunch of guys. A chorus of laughter and giggles travel from the island in the kitchen just behind us; Ashton and Luke would rather sit and laugh at the three of us than play, unless of course I wasn't playing. They both knew I could kick ass at FIFA any day of the week.

I can see the final ten seconds of the game ticking down on the screen and determination sets in; I didn't like losing, I wanted to win and in one swift movement Calum's player kicks the football to mine, and the goal is kicked with a second left. I'm up off the couch, controller in the floor before it registers in Calum's head that I just won the game for the two of us. 

"FUCK!" Michael shouts. "NO! WHAT WAS THAT? HADLEY NO!" 

Calum laughs, his head thrown back as he stands and picks me up off the floor, spinning me in circles.

Michael's POV

Hadley's hair flows in an array of red as Calum spins her around; with her hair pulled up, I catch a glimpse of the star tattoos starting behind her left ear and trailing partially down her neck. For some reason I remember her never liking her hair color and wanting to die it dark, maybe even black, but I had encouraged her not to. The red suited her, it wasn't dark, almost a strawberry blonde color, really. It went along with her freckled cheeks and shoulders, the young look in her eye when she caught onto some horrid joke one of us told, the cheeriness of her voice. 

Calum sets her down, and I hide my face, hide the envy and anger. I couldn't pick her up like that. I couldn't have moments like that with one of my best friends without it made out to be flirting and nothing pissed me off more. 

A cool, gentle touch finds my arm, slipping hers in to loop with mine. I force away a smile. Michael, stop, I tell myself. Her chin comes to rest on my shoulder and when I turn, she lets her face fall to meet my gaze and in that moment, never had I seen someone more beautiful than she is, her dark eyes full of light and wonder. Of course, I wouldn't admit that to anyone; I could hardly even admit it to myself.

"It's only a game, Mikey," she giggles and nose turns up, scrunching like she's smelled something bad, but I know she only does that when she laughs.

"NO IT ISN'T," I play along, shoving her across the couch. Her mouth falls open and her eyebrows knit together. "FIFA'S IMPORTANT." My voice cracks on the last word and melodic laughter pours from her lips.

"Not that damn important," she manages between laughs and without second thought I tug her back towards me, my fingers finding her sides and sending her into a fit of giggles. "MI- MIKEY STOP!" I don't listen, only continuing just to hear her laugh, and to see her smile. Her tiny hands fall on mine, trying to push me away but at this point she's in my lap trying to free herself to no avail.

"Flirting, flirting and more flirting." I hear Calum from behind us and I freeze immediately. There it is. Once again. "Oh no, you two don't stop because of us. I just don't see why you don't ask her out; you two act like you're together anyways."

Hadley's POV 

Michael's hands find my waist and set me down on the couch beside him and within seconds he's storming off down the hall. My cheeks are on fire, my heart's pounding, and then I feel a tinge of guilt. I had prodded that, I had started the little fight with Michael even if we were just messing around. I stand, hoping any bit of makeup I had on earlier hides the color in my cheeks. Luke, Ashton, and Calum stand around the island in the kitchen laughing and making fun of the way Michael stormed off.

"I hope you're all happy," I snap. "I don't understand why you can't just leave us alone; Mikey's my friend and you all make a big deal out of shit that isn't even any of your business." Three sets of wide eyes stare back at me then avert to the door behind me. I turn to see Liz standing at the front door, her own eyes wide, but I turn back to them. "I think you all owe Mikey an apology, and I'm also sorry your mum had to hear that, Luke." 

I'm down the hall at Michael's door before I can think twice. I can hear him pushing things around in his room, but as far as I can tell he sounds peaceful. I knock twice, "Mikey?"

"Go away, Hadley," he says.

"But Mikey--" 

"Please, Hadley, just--" he opens the door and looks down at me, his green eyes are surprisingly calm, he doesn't look pissed off, just worried. I reach up and brush his cheek with my fingertips and his hand catches mine for just a second before pulling it down. "I just wanna go to sleep, we have a show tomorrow."

"I know that," I whisper. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine."

"Why do I feel like you're lying?" I question and he shrugs. "Mikey.."

"Hadley, I really just want some sleep, okay?" he half whispers and before can shut himself up in his room, I wrap myself around his waist until he caves and returns the gesture, his arms tightening around my shoulders. Something was wrong, terribly wrong, I knew him far too well to let this go but he wouldn't tell me unless he wanted to. My heart ached and when he let go, I found myself wanting to stay, wanting to know what it would feel like curled up next to him in the bed just behind him with his arm slung over me in his sleep. He manages a grin as he shuts the door, and I travel across the hall to my own room, a lot sadder now than I had been in a while.